Text from ‘Find My’ Reporting that my stolen iPhone has been found.

I have just received a text from ‘Find My’ notifying me that my recently stolen iPhone has been found. The text states this. I click on the contact and it’s completely blank so it looks legitimate.

Dear Customer,

Lauren F.

Your lost iPhone 14 Plus Blue 128GB been found and connected to the internet.

View actual location:

Is this legitimate? I have been hesitant to enter my details.

[Edited by Moderator] 

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2023 3:08 PM

Scam!

If you had Find My enabled on the iPhone, and you marked it as Lost, it is Activation Locked (or will put itself into Activation Lock when it learns about the Lost marking). Bricked phones aren't terribly useful to thieves or fences when their customers stop buying bricked, stolen merchandise.

Some of the criminals are so brazen that they will contact the owner with phishing scams, pretending to be from Apple and saying they want to reunite you with your lost device.

What they are really after is enough information to unlock the stolen phone and make it valuable to them … also, maybe enough information to scam you in other ways.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 25, 2023 3:08 PM in response to Laurenfrater

Scam!

If you had Find My enabled on the iPhone, and you marked it as Lost, it is Activation Locked (or will put itself into Activation Lock when it learns about the Lost marking). Bricked phones aren't terribly useful to thieves or fences when their customers stop buying bricked, stolen merchandise.

Some of the criminals are so brazen that they will contact the owner with phishing scams, pretending to be from Apple and saying they want to reunite you with your lost device.

What they are really after is enough information to unlock the stolen phone and make it valuable to them … also, maybe enough information to scam you in other ways.

Text from ‘Find My’ Reporting that my stolen iPhone has been found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.