Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I have a windows pc that I needed to deauthorize as I was restructuring my equipment and now when I try to reauthorize it.. apple tells me I have 5 computers authorize.. according to my notebook and only has 3 computers listed. How do I fix?

I am trying to restructure my itunes as I have moved from my previous location and in doing so.. I am trying to simplify the environment. I had this itunes library on an older pc... now when I try to authorize on a new pc, it tells me that I have exceeded the 5 that I can have but when I look at the list, I only have my notebook, and one other device. It does not allow me to authorize as it says I have more than 5. Any ideas how I can get this authorized?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 9:23 AM

"Deauthorize all" and then reauthorize any computers that you still have. Note that only computers are affected, not iPads or iPhones. Also note that there is no list of what computers are authorized but there is a list of "associated" devices which is a different thing. See: Authorization vs. association - Apple Community

To Deauthorize All and reauthorize, see the following instructions from Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

To deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to, you have to deauthorize all of your computers. Then authorize each computer that you have again. You can deauthorize all computers only once a year.

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Choose Account > View My Account.
  3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Forgot your Apple ID?
  4. At the top of your Account Information page, go to the Apple ID Summary section.
  5. Next to Computer Authorizations, click Deauthorize All.
  6. Authorize each computer that you use again.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 26, 2023 9:23 AM in response to DewardK

"Deauthorize all" and then reauthorize any computers that you still have. Note that only computers are affected, not iPads or iPhones. Also note that there is no list of what computers are authorized but there is a list of "associated" devices which is a different thing. See: Authorization vs. association - Apple Community

To Deauthorize All and reauthorize, see the following instructions from Authorize or deauthorize your computer for iTunes Store purchases - Apple Support

To deauthorize a computer that you don't have access to, you have to deauthorize all of your computers. Then authorize each computer that you have again. You can deauthorize all computers only once a year.

1. Open iTunes.
  2. Choose Account > View My Account.
  3. Sign in with your Apple ID and password. Forgot your Apple ID?
  4. At the top of your Account Information page, go to the Apple ID Summary section.
  5. Next to Computer Authorizations, click Deauthorize All.
  6. Authorize each computer that you use again.

I have a windows pc that I needed to deauthorize as I was restructuring my equipment and now when I try to reauthorize it.. apple tells me I have 5 computers authorize.. according to my notebook and only has 3 computers listed. How do I fix?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.