Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

New MacBook Air unable to be authorized for Apple Music

Every time I try to authorize my new MacBook Air for Music, the message that I already have 5 computers authorized appears.

I checked the Account Settings. The Apple ID Summary section indicates that I have 5 authorized computers already, but doesn't list them. The only option available is to Deauthorize All.

In the Downloads and Purchases section below that is a line about managing devices. It states that "4 devises associated with this ID and can download purchases or subscription content. Apple provides a button to "Manage Devices". Clicking on that lists the 2 computers and 2 devices that are authorized.

So no matter how you count, only 4 computers+devices are authorized.

What is going on? How is Apple counting? What is the rule?

Any help would be appreciated.

Rhapsody

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 9:48 AM

Hi,

Read this user tip. Authorization vs. association - Apple Community

Jim

5 replies

Jul 26, 2023 10:05 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thank you so much. I am reading the excellent link and only half understanding, but think it boils down to "deauthorize all" and then authorize my new MBAir. Will let you know the outcome.

Will it be necessary to reauthorize my iPad and iPhone - do they require authorization or are they only associated?

Frankly, the difference, and the point of having the two states is still not clear to me. Authorized means you can download DRM-protected content, but associated means you can use that ID to make purchases? But then wouldn't you download the purchases and need to be authorized?

New MacBook Air unable to be authorized for Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.