Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to protect MacBook Air from online threats?

Last night I was on what I thought was a craft site. It asked me to check the box to make sure I'm human, so I did and then the screen had a message saying my computer is infected. I did NOT click on it, closed out Safari, cleared history. Extensions are cleared, cookies, fraudulent websites warning is checked, Applications to uninstall, Safari is up to date (16.6), MacBook Air 2017 is up to date macOS Monterey 12.6.8. I ran Malwarebytes free version and says all is okay.

I'm also getting these system pop ups that say, You have a virus, click here. I do NOT click on these. Detected: Trojan #$%@, and a few others that I wasn't quick enough to take the photos. They seem to be disappearing quicker.

I was in a chat with Apple and all of a sudden after I told the person I tried what he was suggesting, chat support became currently unavailable. I don't know what else to do.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 12:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2023 12:53 PM

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2023 12:53 PM in response to MamaKitty72

If these are sliding in the from the top right of the screen, a site you visited has given itself permission to send push notifications. Everything you're seeing is nothing but a scam.

Open Safari's preferences. Click on the Websites tab and then scroll down to Notifications. Clear any entries in the right hand window. You might find something similar in the Pop-up Windows heading below that. Block any you don't recognize.

Then if you want, uncheck the box below as shown here.

I personally can't think of any reason why I would ever want any website to push notices to me.

Mar 19, 2024 2:26 PM in response to user3121

While almost all of these scam notices are caused by notification links in Safari's preferences, a handful are caused by third party apps that have added themselves to the System Settings. I generally don't mention that as it's pretty rare. Go to:

System Settings > Notifications

In the right column, click on each entry and either disable the entire app's notifications, or do it selectively. Personally, I turn darn near everything off.

How to protect MacBook Air from online threats?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.