15" Macbook air as a secondary device?

I'm a software dev and a video editor, i usually work on premiere pro and VSCode on my desktop pc.

Of course i don't want to replace that with a laptop but i need one for when I don't want to launch the entire PC setup just to color grade a video for example or when I'm not home and have no access to it.

I've seen many reviews, some good & some bad, about the product but i wanted to get more specific answers.

Personally i want to get the base model because I'm on a budget. I want MacOS features such as iMessage, FT, airdrop and perfect connectivity between my other apple devices(iPhone, AirPods, TV). I've heard that MacOS has very good memory management so 8GB ram would seem like 16GB on Windows, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on the 256GB version because it only uses one chip which results in the machine being slower reading, writing and transfering files.

Lastly i want to mention that I live in Greece and there's no official apple store here so i have to cope with resellers; a base MBA 15 here will cost ~1500€ so an upgrade will take me to 1800€ which is a bit expensive imo.

So to sum up will a Base Model 15" MacBook Air suit me for Basic video editing, software & web design and little to none gaming at some times as a secondary device to my Desktop PC?

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 9:55 AM

I would not get only 256 GB storage. It's too small for anything but basic use.

At first you characterized that usage as "iMessage, FT, airdrop and perfect connectivity between my other apple devices(iPhone, AirPods, TV)" for which 256 GB is ok, but later you added "video editing, software & web design" and some various gaming usage. That changes things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one chip" but the number of "chips" doesn't really matter. Storage is storage and more is better. Get more.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2023 9:55 AM in response to Amygdalios

I would not get only 256 GB storage. It's too small for anything but basic use.

At first you characterized that usage as "iMessage, FT, airdrop and perfect connectivity between my other apple devices(iPhone, AirPods, TV)" for which 256 GB is ok, but later you added "video editing, software & web design" and some various gaming usage. That changes things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "one chip" but the number of "chips" doesn't really matter. Storage is storage and more is better. Get more.

15" Macbook air as a secondary device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.