Duplicates Folder is Not Appearing in Photos Sidebar?

I have MacOS Version 13.4.1 and I am trying to get the duplicate photo merge & delete function back (It was there yesterday right before I deleted & merged hundreds of photos!). Now there is no Duplicates folder in the sidebar of the Photos app even though I just imported hundreds more duplicates into Photos.

I have Photos version 8.0.

Anyone know how to retrieve it?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 11:07 AM

It may take some time to analyze the photos that were imported. The process runs in the background and when completed, the Duplicates folder will appear in the sidebar. The process that runs is a low priority and will defer to any other process that wants to run with a higher priority. Just give it some time and the longer your Mac is idle the faster the process will complete. You may want to quit Photos, I'm not sure if the Duplicates folder will appear while open or if it is checked when starting up Photos and the Mac should be connected to power.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 27, 2023 11:07 AM in response to Mrmorofo

It may take some time to analyze the photos that were imported. The process runs in the background and when completed, the Duplicates folder will appear in the sidebar. The process that runs is a low priority and will defer to any other process that wants to run with a higher priority. Just give it some time and the longer your Mac is idle the faster the process will complete. You may want to quit Photos, I'm not sure if the Duplicates folder will appear while open or if it is checked when starting up Photos and the Mac should be connected to power.

Jul 27, 2023 9:48 PM in response to léonie

Quite large I suppose. 89,000 photos and 1,234 vids (Idk what 11 items means?). Also that Syncing 16 items to iClould have been the same the entire time, not sure what that is either or if thats holding the process up? I had Photos shut down all day and still no duplicates folder, but I guess its got some work to do! Thanks for responding...

Duplicates Folder is Not Appearing in Photos Sidebar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.