Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Apple Music rotates on iPad but not the iPhone 14 Pro Max

Can someone tell me why a much older iPad's Apple Music application rotates but the iPhone 14 Pro Max running the latest iOS 16.6 and the latest version of Apple Music cannot? Microsoft's Edge and Google's Chrome can rotate on that phone. I do not understand why Apple decide that on the most expensive phone it should be engineered to NOT rotate. To me this is poor software engineering.

Note: iPad's operating system used to be called iOS same as iPhone's.

iPad

Posted on Jul 27, 2023 1:33 PM

13 replies

Jul 27, 2023 10:52 PM in response to H1290

That’s just sloppy sweeping generality old-style writers who most likely do not understand the technical. It would not surprise me if those authors came from fiction with no software and/or system engineering background. Instead of being comprehensive they are actually being lazy by shortening paragraphs.

Jul 27, 2023 3:53 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I know I’m just thinking of all of Apple’s programmers, QA/QCs, alpha and beta testers that knew that it does not rotate before they rollout the latest software version, seems so backwards for todays operations. Is not like they have to send corporate spies to steal hundreds of pages of code for some real cutting-edge complex programming.

Jul 27, 2023 1:53 PM in response to World_Class_AI_and_Enterprise_

Apple Music simply doesn't rotate on iPhone. It's how Apple designed it to work on iPhone and whether you have rotation turned on or not, won't make it rotate.

Why? We aren't Apple on this user to user only forum. and we didn't design iOS or how it works. Suffice to say, Apple decided the Music App doesn't rotate.

You can provide feedback to Apple if you'd like to share your thoughts about this --> Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Ps: You are correct that it does rotate on iPad. Perhaps because of the much larger screen or perhaps because with a Bluetooth Keyboard, such as Apple's Magic Keyboard, most of the time an iPad will be viewed in Landscape Orientation as opposed to Portrait. That's just a guess on my part, but probably a pretty decent guess.

Jul 27, 2023 2:24 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Ok, I just find it weird that Microsoft's, Google's, and non-Apple's apps rotate on the iPhone while Apple Music was deliberately engineered to NOT rotate especially on the newer iPhone 14 Pro Max just in case if it is hardware.

On the side note when I bought the much older iPad the operating system was just called iOS same as iPhone. So I guess even with that 'same' software the engineers decide it should not rotate even on the latest model of iPhones. In terms of software engineering I don't think is alot of work to make it so it can rotate.

I just find it annoying since Microsoft's and Google's apps can rotate on the iPhone and the much older iPad that was running 'iOS' can.

Jul 27, 2023 2:29 PM in response to World_Class_AI_and_Enterprise_

As was pointed out correctly by H1290, Not All Apps Rotate. Apple chose for Apple Music not to rotate. 3rd party apps not owned by Apple can code their apps as they choose. Some app developers do code their apps to rotate. Some don't. It's up to the app developers for their apps, just as Apple decides which of their apps rotate.

Jul 27, 2023 3:54 PM in response to World_Class_AI_and_Enterprise_

For whatever reason, we don't know. All we know is, this is exactly how Apple intended it to be. And Apple engineers don't read here for user feedback. That's why I provided a link you can use to share your thoughts with Apple. I can't honestly remember if Apple Music ever rotated on iPhone. I don't think it did. Or at least, I never had a compelling reason to need it to rotate on my iPhone.

Jul 27, 2023 10:15 PM in response to lobsterghost1

iTunes was always right side up and Apple Music still continues to rotate on the much older iPad with less specs. Apple’s paying customer based is use to this for decades. Since we paid for the most expensive phone it needs to have the best software features not the worst.

Many prospective clients have been listening to music right side up because the album looks weird sideways not to mention is hard to read the lyrics. Google’s YouTube app rotates when listening to music and/or reading the lyrics on Apple’s phones. This is common knowledge since most paying clients set their phone sideways instead of having to hold the phone all the time on portrait mode.

I just find it not only annoying but inferior software engineering because it already rotated on the much older iPad that is even less wide screen and was running iPhone’s iOS software.

We been rotating portable devices for decades that’s funny that you never rotate any smart phone when listening and/or ‘reading’ music.

Thanks for the link unfortunately my time is important and I wonder what Apple paid alpha and beta testers type before they decide to rollout the software perhaps it was superior in just sweeping generality information but not technical content. Perhaps they need to read their employers’ forums.

And if any Apple employees are reading this. Google, Microsoft, Samsung, LG, and etc. developers and testers do not make such a common knowledge mistake especially among their own proprietary software. So, this is really backwards for Apple employees and perhaps revealed a universal inferiority understood in all human languages.

Jul 28, 2023 6:21 AM in response to World_Class_AI_and_Enterprise_

Your time must not be too important, if you have the time to keep hammering something no one here can change. And your hope that Apple is reading these posts isn't reality. Apple engineers don't hang out on this forum and they don't participate in this forum. The amount of time it took you to write your last lengthy post could have been used to provide feedback to Apple via the link, which would guarantee your thoughts would be read by Apple.

Just saying.......

Apple Music rotates on iPad but not the iPhone 14 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.