Apple TV 4k Dolby Atmos issue

Hi I just bought an apple TV 4k 3d generation and I have a pair of earbuds that support Dolby Atmos (LG tone free t90) and an older TV that doesn't support Dolby Atmos.

When I connect earbuds con Apple TV on the settings Audio>audio format doesn't appear Dolby Atmos. Instead said Dolby 5.1

My questions:

1.Do I need to buy a TV that supports Dolby Atmos for have it on the earbuds too?

2. If yes which are the best settings for audio format, have it on or off.

Thanks a lot

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 5:18 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 26, 2024 10:36 AM in response to Spyros48

If you are using the Apple TV box to send audio to ANY headphones/earbuds, ONLY certain AirPods and Beats headphones will support Spatial Audio/dolby atmos. If your TV can connect to headphones/earbuds, and if that TV can send Atmos audio wirelessly, that should work. If that is the case, you will need to hook the Apple TV up to the correct input on the TV which can handle Dolby Atmos so it can send the audio to whatever headphones.

I am not sure if there are any TV’s that are capable of doing this though. If you need to or are going to buy anything to make it all happen, I suggest a pair of Air Pods Max’s. Unless you are upgrading the TV anyway, the AirPods will be cheaper than buying a TV that has the ability you are looking for. The AirPods Max are still easily in the top 5 of sound quality. Plus it is going to be SUPER easy to get everything to work the way you want. AirPods straight up hooked up to the Apple TV for sound.

I’ve been trying to get info on if/when Air Pods Max 2’s are coming and it is looking like we will have to wait until the end of this year or maybe the beginning of 2025!!! 😳

Jul 28, 2023 6:56 AM in response to Spyros48

If you connect earbuds to the TV, then the TV and earbuds will have to ‘negociate’ on what both support over bluetooth.

If you connect earbuds to the Apple TV box, then the Apple TV box and earbuds will have to ‘negociate’ on what both support over bluetooth. I think the Apple TV box only support Atmos/​spatial audio to Apple headphones and earbuds, not to third party headphones or earbuds. Headphones virtualize (simulate) Atmos, while soundbars and AV receivers with Atmos support generally do a much better job at this.

Only if the TV does audio passthrough, then it would need to have support for Atmos.

If no Atmos-capable audio system is detected, then Apple TV should disable/​not show the setting for Atmos.

Apple TV 4k Dolby Atmos issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.