Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

iPhone 14 Pro - Battery Issues

Hello all! Has anyone else experienced terrible battery life?

• I have only had the phone since 9/30/2022
  • The battery Maximum Capacity is already down to 86%
  • The phone constantly says that it cannot charge until it cools down
  • The phone dies while plugged in during Facetime calls
  • I cannot go more than 6hr before the battery dies
  • I leave the Battery Saver on most of the time, limiting some of the features that contributed to why I spent $1,500 on a phone.

Why did I get the 14 Pro? I had the 13 Pro Max, but I started having wrist and hand issues. The doctors determined the weight of the 13 Pro Max was contributing greatly to my issues. I have to be on the phone a lot for work so I can't just not use the phone. It's not phone calls either, it's using apps and running scripts/tasks.

Is anyone else having a similar issue?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 2:07 PM

drichter_testing wrote:

I have only had the phone since • 9/30/2022
The battery Maximum Capacity is already down to• 86%

When it reaches 80% Apple will replace it

The phone constantly says that it cannot charge until it • cools down

When you fast charge an iPhone it gets very warm (Physics rules, specifically the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics), so the phone stops charging around 80% to cool off; it then resumes at a lower rate of charge. This is completely normal. All iPhones that fast charge stop at 80% (all smartphones, not just iPhones), but it’s only been since iOS 16.5 was released that it tells you what it’s doing.

The phone• dies while plugged in during Facetime calls

Not normal, and probably not a battery problem; some other hardware problem, unless by “plugged in” you mean a 5 watt cube power source. It should not happen with a 10 watt or higher power source.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 28, 2023 2:07 PM in response to drichter_testing

drichter_testing wrote:

I have only had the phone since • 9/30/2022
The battery Maximum Capacity is already down to• 86%

When it reaches 80% Apple will replace it

The phone constantly says that it cannot charge until it • cools down

When you fast charge an iPhone it gets very warm (Physics rules, specifically the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics), so the phone stops charging around 80% to cool off; it then resumes at a lower rate of charge. This is completely normal. All iPhones that fast charge stop at 80% (all smartphones, not just iPhones), but it’s only been since iOS 16.5 was released that it tells you what it’s doing.

The phone• dies while plugged in during Facetime calls

Not normal, and probably not a battery problem; some other hardware problem, unless by “plugged in” you mean a 5 watt cube power source. It should not happen with a 10 watt or higher power source.

Jul 28, 2023 1:47 PM in response to drichter_testing

It sounds as though your iPhone needs a new battery. The cost of a new battery would be small compared to the inconvenience you are experiencing. Apple recommends a new battery when Battery Health reaches 80%. I have no idea why your battery is dying, but the best option is to replace it. You should make an appointment at the nearest Apple Store for Battery Replacement...

Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple

And some other links that may help...

iPhone Battery Repair & Replacement - Apple Support

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

iPhone 14 Pro - Battery Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.