Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8, IOS 14.8, Battery Drain

Recently bought, the phone suffers significant battery drain especially overnight and during messenger video calls.

Especially on messenger video calls, the battery drops 40% while with the exact same time and conditions was dropped by 7% on my old iPhone 6. Some times is dropped overnight by 20%

iPhone's condition: Recently bought, cloned my old iPhone 6 and immediately updated to IOS 14.8.

Mobile data are off, GPS Services are off, background refresh is off. In General I tried everything to make it better but didn't work.

Maximum battery capacity is 94% and doing a test with the BatteryTesting app the results reveals my battery to be perfect.

What do you suggest doing to solve the issues? Thanks.

iPhone 8, iOS 14

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2021 4:03 PM

Messenger is a resource-intensive third-party application.

Here's a support article with some input - iPhone Battery and Performance - Apple Support

And additional tips - Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 18, 2021 3:47 AM in response to GkChris99

This is a real issue and not related to messenger. I have an iPhone 8 and just installed IOS 14.8 last night. I always put my iPhone in airplane mode at night. In spite of being in airplane mode, my battery charge dropped off a cliff (by about 25%) in about 30 minutes, while not in use.

Apple, please listen. Your response about messenger being resource intensive is not helpful and does not address the real issue.

Sep 25, 2021 3:05 PM in response to GkChris99

I've been experiencing severe battery drain issues since updating to iOS 14.8, and I don't use Messenger. So I suspect your problem isn't Messenger related. I was just talking on the phone using AirPods Pros and could actually see the battery percentage dropping during the call. Right before the update, it might not be necessary to charge the phone more than once a day unless I played a game a lot. Now it needs charging multiple times a day. A relative who also has an iPhone 8 is seeing similar issues since the update.

iPhone 8, IOS 14.8, Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.