You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I no longer have a timeline on iMovie. Basically can't use it. Can you troubleshoot?

I've been using iMovie easily for a few years. Suddenly the timeline is gone. I can't add a project and edit

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 10:56 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 7:51 AM

Hi,

Could you post a screen shot of what your iMovie screen looks like?

Likely you are not in a project screen and that's why you have no timeline. If your screen is displaying in Media view (after having left the Projects browser screen in Projects view) then there will be no timeline because you are not in a project. To cure that, open a new or existing project. Does your screen look like the one below that is in Media view?

Another possibility is that there is a missing or corrupt preference that is causing iMovie not to display properly. Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open

in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 29, 2023 7:51 AM in response to Lesliefilm

Hi,

Could you post a screen shot of what your iMovie screen looks like?

Likely you are not in a project screen and that's why you have no timeline. If your screen is displaying in Media view (after having left the Projects browser screen in Projects view) then there will be no timeline because you are not in a project. To cure that, open a new or existing project. Does your screen look like the one below that is in Media view?

Another possibility is that there is a missing or corrupt preference that is causing iMovie not to display properly. Try deleting/resetting preferences and see if that cures it. To delete/reset preferences open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open

in a new empty library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Possibly you may need to reboot to set the changes.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

I no longer have a timeline on iMovie. Basically can't use it. Can you troubleshoot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.