Put Hard Disks Sleep When Possible in Ventura M1 Mac mini - option has disappeared

This option in energy saver was available on my Mac mini M1 Ventura 13.5. However I notice that if one turns it off the option disappears - you can't turn it on again. Surely this is not by design?

It is posing a real problem for me - In Adobe Lightroom when I right click Lightroom will wait for any external disks to spin up before responding. This takes several seconds and is slowing me down a lot!

My external disks are for backup only and not used by Lightroom. In order to work efficiently I have to unmount the backup disks and then of course forget to remount them for backups.

Others have also experienced the problem -> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/put-hard-disks-to-sleep-energy-saver-settings-disappearing.2397175/

Is there any way to force this option to reappear?

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 4:43 AM

Escaladieu wrote:

This option in energy saver was available on my Mac mini M1 Ventura 13.5. However I notice that if one turns it off the option disappears - you can't turn it on again. Surely this is not by design?

Refer to image below from a M1 Mac Mini running Ventura 13.5 with an External Drive attached

It is posing a real problem for me - In Adobe Lightroom when I right click Lightroom will wait for any external disks to spin up before responding. This takes several seconds and is slowing me down a lot!
My external disks are for backup only and not used by Lightroom. In order to work efficiently I have to unmount the backup disks and then of course forget to remount them for backups.

Others have also experienced the problem -> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/put-hard-disks-to-sleep-energy-saver-settings-disappearing.2397175/

You may what to explore while in Terminal Application

The >> man pmset << for various options to keep the external Drive Active ALL the time

Be very certain what you do in there as;

1 - Terminal Commands are Not Forgiving. One small dash, period or slash can create havoc

2 - Changing things in pmset affects the entireer computer at the lowest level and even before the computers' Operating System is loaded

Excerpt from the man page

SETTINGS

disksleep - disk spindown timer; replaces 'spindown' argument in 10.4 (value in minutes, or 0 to disable)

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 4:43 AM in response to Escaladieu

Escaladieu wrote:

Refer to image below from a M1 Mac Mini running Ventura 13.5 with an External Drive attached

You may what to explore while in Terminal Application

The >> man pmset << for various options to keep the external Drive Active ALL the time

Be very certain what you do in there as;

1 - Terminal Commands are Not Forgiving. One small dash, period or slash can create havoc

2 - Changing things in pmset affects the entireer computer at the lowest level and even before the computers' Operating System is loaded

Excerpt from the man page

SETTINGS

disksleep - disk spindown timer; replaces 'spindown' argument in 10.4 (value in minutes, or 0 to disable)

Put Hard Disks Sleep When Possible in Ventura M1 Mac mini - option has disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.