Protecting iPhone from overheating in car

I Door Dash so use GPS a lot while driving. Mounting phone where I can see it exposes it to the sun and it overheats. Any ideas on how to avoid this without using AC which reduces my mpg by a third.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2024 2:59 PM

OK this does not answer this person’s question whatsoever! Like they said, and just like I do, I do DoorDash and all the side gigs so you have to put your phone on the mount in the dashboard you can’t store your phone in the cooler place when you’re trying to drive. So how about another answer that actually may solve this solution? SMH

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2024 2:59 PM in response to SravanKrA

OK this does not answer this person’s question whatsoever! Like they said, and just like I do, I do DoorDash and all the side gigs so you have to put your phone on the mount in the dashboard you can’t store your phone in the cooler place when you’re trying to drive. So how about another answer that actually may solve this solution? SMH

Aug 7, 2023 9:08 PM in response to curogers

Here are some ideas on how to protect your iPhone from overheating in your car while driving for Door Dash without using AC:

• Mount your phone on an air vent. This will help to keep your phone cool by blowing air from the vent over it. You can find car phone mounts that attach to air vents at most electronics stores.

• Use a phone case with a built-in fan. This type of case will help to circulate air around your phone and keep it cool. There are many different phone cases with built-in fans available online and in stores.

• Place your phone in a cooler. This will help to insulate your phone from the heat in the car. You can use a small cooler or even a lunchbox. Just make sure that the cooler is not airtight, as this could trap heat and make the problem worse.

• Remove your phone case. If your phone case is thick or bulky, it could be trapping heat and causing your phone to overheat. Try removing the case and see if that helps.

• Turn off features that you're not using. Things like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and GPS can all contribute to your phone overheating. If you're not using these features, turn them off to help your phone stay cool.

• Minimize screen brightness. The brighter your screen, the more heat it will generate. Try to keep your screen brightness as low as possible when you're not using it.

• Avoid leaving your phone in the car. If you can, avoid leaving your phone in the car altogether. If you have to leave it in the car, make sure it's in the shade and not in direct sunlight.
  • Contacts Official Apple Support iPhone Protects Cars

I hope these tips help you to keep your iPhone cool while you're driving for Door Dash.

Jul 30, 2023 6:01 AM in response to curogers

I am not aware of the ambient temperature in which you are using the iPhone. However --> Keeping iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch within acceptable ...

Store the device where the temperature is between -20º and 45º C (-4º to 113º F). Don’t leave the device in your car, because temperatures in parked cars can exceed this range.

Use iOS devices where the ambient temperature is between 0º and 35º C (32º to 95º F). Low- or high-temperature conditions might cause the device to change its behavior to regulate its temperature. Using an iOS device in very cold conditions outside of its operating range might temporarily shorten battery life and could cause the device to turn off. Battery life will return to normal when you bring the device back to higher ambient temperatures. Using an iOS device in very hot conditions can permanently shorten battery life.

Mar 3, 2024 3:03 PM in response to makessense82

The author doesn't want to use A/C to keep the environment cool. If the phone is getting too warm, it will display a thermometer, and need to cool down to cool off before it can be used. No one here can provide a solution if someone doesn't want to provide an environment cool enough to preventing the phone from needing to protect itself. It's simple science. A phone is trying to do intensive tasks like using GPS in an environment that is too warm. We can't fix that at all.

Protecting iPhone from overheating in car

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.