When I see a Pages document icon on my desktop, where is it stored? My hard drive or icloud?

I have a Mac mini (late 2014 with Monterey 12.6.8) I'm thinking about trading in. If I don't know where my documents are stored, how can I be sure I don't lose anything?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 1:04 PM

Documents on your Desktop are on your local disk (only), unless you have this turned on:

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Even if you have that turned on, and the documents have made it to iCloud Drive, it would be a good idea to make a local backup or two of all of your documents, on an external hard disk or disks, before trading in your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 1:04 PM in response to Don1911

Documents on your Desktop are on your local disk (only), unless you have this turned on:

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Even if you have that turned on, and the documents have made it to iCloud Drive, it would be a good idea to make a local backup or two of all of your documents, on an external hard disk or disks, before trading in your Mac.

When I see a Pages document icon on my desktop, where is it stored? My hard drive or icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.