Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

App Privacy Report - Message app frequently active / accessing contacts when not in use

Has anyone seen this on their phone? I've not been using the phone for messaging or received any texts on it, other iPhones in the house aren't showing anything like this kind of activity. It's happening with message synch off, background app refresh off (though don't think that covers system apps), message forwarding off, message synch with icloud off...similar things are showing with photos, Mail and Calendar though they aren't being used and settings for background fetching of data / synching etc are all turned off...

I'd have assumed it was all some background workings on the handset but it's not showing on another iPhone 12 (this is 12Pro) on the same iOS.

Anyone seen this before / have any possible explanation?

Thanks

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 1:24 AM

I also wanted to add that my previous Wow was in regards to the fact no one has responded to your yours and everyone’s else’s valid question and concern this entire time!

6 replies

Jul 30, 2023 2:38 AM in response to teapottery

Any third-party app report needs to be clarified by the app developer only.

How to contact a third-party app developer

If you encounter any challenges with third-party applications, the best course of action is to directly contact the app developer for further assistance. Here's a brief guide on how to do it:

1. Identify the app developer.
  2. Visit their website or app store listing.
  3. Look for their contact information or support channels.
  4. Clearly describe the issue you are facing.
  5. Provide any necessary information they may need.
  6. Follow their instructions and provide feedback.
  7. Be patient and follow up if needed.

By reaching out to the app developer, you increase your chances of receiving accurate and personalized support for the challenges you're experiencing. To contact an App developer --> How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

How to contact a Web Publisher or the Host

Contacting a web publisher or the host of a website can be helpful for various reasons, such as reporting issues with the website, seeking permission to use content, or addressing copyright concerns. The process may vary slightly depending on the website, but here are some general steps you can follow:

1. Check the Website: First, visit the website and look for a "Contact" or "About Us" page. Many websites provide contact information there, including email addresses or contact forms.
  2. Web Hosting Company: If you have an issue related to the website's hosting, such as reporting abuse or copyright infringement, you can try contacting the web hosting company. To find the hosting company, you can use online tools like "whoishostingthis.com" or similar services. Once you identify the hosting company, visit their website and look for contact information or support options.
  3. Be Clear and Polite: Whether you are reaching out via email, contact form, or social media, always be clear, concise, and polite in your communication. Clearly state the reason for contacting them and provide any necessary details to help them understand your request or concern.
  4. Give Time for a Response: Allow some time for the web publisher or hosting company to respond. It may take a few days, depending on their responsiveness.

Remember, always be respectful in your communication, and avoid any hostile or aggressive language, as it is unlikely to yield a positive response.

Jan 10, 2024 1:22 AM in response to teapottery

Wow. So not only am I having the same issue I have also noticed my message app has been accessing my camera. And sometimes it’s 2-3x at the same time. I could understand if I was FaceTiming or sending photos, but it is showing that my message app is accessing my camera every single minute. There are pages and pages of this. It’s even accessing the microphone, which would make sense because I speak my texts a lot! However it says the last time the message app accessed the microphone was 4-days ago! Trust me, I have never gone 4-days without talking my texts and today alone I probably end talk-texted 10x And not one is one of those is on the report. Not even yesterday or the day before. You get what I’m saying. And I haven’t face-timed in over 2 months. My phone even looks and acts different and I haven’t even updated yet. All my Mest cameras have disappeared on my Goigke Home app but are still on my iPad! And all of my stored passwords are gone! I had to recreate most of them and I set up at least 3 new ones last night!! And my texting is terrible. Not only does it constantly misspell, it inserts words that aren’t even close to what I’m typing and sometimes the words will change AFTER I hit send!!

App Privacy Report - Message app frequently active / accessing contacts when not in use

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.