Up Next list not syncing between app and Apple TV

Up Next titles on Apple TV+ App on my Macbook Air Not Synching with Up Next List on my Apple TV. OS Monterey 12.6.7. Apple TV 4k on LG TV.

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 1:07 PM

No worries, time here is well spend if knowledge is gained (for me at least). I get to broaden my view on other people’s use of devices.

A MacBook Air 2015 (A1465 or A1466) can be updated to macOS Monterey 12.x (but not any further). For most things, Monterey isn’t all that out of date at all; still very useful. And web access can be a powerful alternative for some native streaming apps (e.g. Chrome or Firefox, for access to tv.apple.com).

The TV app is not available on the Mac App Store, as it is bundled with the OS (for macOS 10.15 or later).

Syncing Up Next should work for web access and devices with the Apple TV app intermixed, for shows that are supported on both platforms. But like mentioned before, FNB and MLS are exceptions in the TV app on not-the-latest-OS.

Also, shows from third party streaming services from connected apps may appear in Up Next on the Apple TV box, but those would not show on macOS (any version), as that platform doesn’t support connected apps.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 1:07 PM in response to davidbarrydavid

No worries, time here is well spend if knowledge is gained (for me at least). I get to broaden my view on other people’s use of devices.

A MacBook Air 2015 (A1465 or A1466) can be updated to macOS Monterey 12.x (but not any further). For most things, Monterey isn’t all that out of date at all; still very useful. And web access can be a powerful alternative for some native streaming apps (e.g. Chrome or Firefox, for access to tv.apple.com).

The TV app is not available on the Mac App Store, as it is bundled with the OS (for macOS 10.15 or later).

Syncing Up Next should work for web access and devices with the Apple TV app intermixed, for shows that are supported on both platforms. But like mentioned before, FNB and MLS are exceptions in the TV app on not-the-latest-OS.

Also, shows from third party streaming services from connected apps may appear in Up Next on the Apple TV box, but those would not show on macOS (any version), as that platform doesn’t support connected apps.

Jul 30, 2023 6:30 AM in response to davidbarrydavid

To clarify: I am watching AppleTV on my MacBook Air using the Apple TV website not the app. The app is not available for my model.

Oh okay; I was inferring from your statement on macOS Monterey 12.6.7, which would have the TV app. [Also note that macOS version 12.6.8 is available now.] Exceptions are FNB and MLS, as those require macOS Ventura for the TV app; browser access may be different.

I can’t find a similar setting on Play History for the browser access, so I assume that it is always On, as Up Next syncs for me through e.g. the Chrome browser.

If the issue persists, then please contact an expert from the Apple Support for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Jul 31, 2023 5:33 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for your help Urqhart1244.

I am very sorry I wasted your time with my faulty information.

My Mac Air is a 2015 model which I now see is so out of date that it is not supported.

I think this explains why the app is not available in the app store. I can only assume it also explains why I can't sync the AppleTV website with my AppleTV.

Thanks again. Cheers David

Up Next list not syncing between app and Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.