How to remove "Your McAfee Has Expired" pop-up notifications? I don't have McAfee and it wants me to renew it. Virus?

I've read the "disable notifications" answer, but I can't see that there are any websites listed. I don't use notifications anyway. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mac Pro (2023)

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 8:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2023 9:37 PM

xannadont Said:

"No. I've never had McAfee on this computer. I clicked on a "font" website today that seemed bad. I think that's when this happened. I'm installing a general Mac update that's 2G large hoping that will correct it. But the McAfee notification keeps pinging about every 30 seconds."

-------

Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malwarebytes is made by longtime users of these forums, and is the only security software safe to use on a Mac, as it does not get in the way. So, once removed from the quarantine, uninstall Malwarebytes, if desired.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

If a Scan Does Not Work, Try this:

• Create New Administrator User

Try creating a new Administrator user, and scanning with Malwarebytes for Mac.

• Boot in Safe Mode:

You may need to boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot]. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it now can be scanned for and then removed. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 29, 2023 9:37 PM in response to xannadont

xannadont Said:

"No. I've never had McAfee on this computer. I clicked on a "font" website today that seemed bad. I think that's when this happened. I'm installing a general Mac update that's 2G large hoping that will correct it. But the McAfee notification keeps pinging about every 30 seconds."

-------

Scan with Malwarebytes for Mac:

Scan for Malware:

Start with running a scan for malware, using Malwarebytes for Mac and remove what is found. Perhaps something was installed that made this occur. Remove what is found from the quarantine. Malwarebytes is made by longtime users of these forums, and is the only security software safe to use on a Mac, as it does not get in the way. So, once removed from the quarantine, uninstall Malwarebytes, if desired.

Downloads:

1. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac
  2. Malwarebytes Uninstaller

If a Scan Does Not Work, Try this:

• Create New Administrator User

Try creating a new Administrator user, and scanning with Malwarebytes for Mac.

• Boot in Safe Mode:

You may need to boot into Safe Mode [Hold Down the Shift Key upon boot]. Once at the login screen, release shift. See if it now can be scanned for and then removed. In Safe Mode, only necessary items load (i.e. the caches), and new preferences are set aside.

Jul 29, 2023 9:36 PM in response to xannadont

xannadont Said:

-------

Troubleshooting a Popup App:

See if this is a Login Item:

Troubleshooting Opening at Login:

A. Try Safe Mode:

Boot in Safe Mode, and then login. In Safe Mode, login items do lot open at login, and system issues are often fixed. Go Here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

B. Remove Unneeded Login Items:

If an app is opening at login, then recently-opened files may be opening with it. So, remove and items from the Login Item list...

1. Go to:  System Preferences > Users & Groups > User Name > Login Items
  2. Select: an Item
  3. Click: the “—“ button
  4. Approve: of the removal in the popup window.

Jul 29, 2023 9:13 PM in response to xannadont

xannadont Said:

"How to remove 'Your McAfee Has Expired' pop-up notifications? I don't have McAfee and it wants me to renew it. Virus?: How to remove 'Your McAfee Has Expired" pop-up notifications? I don't have McAfee and it wants me to renew it. Virus?"

-------

Uninstall McAfee with a Reinstall First:

Have you ever had McAfee on your Mac? If so, and you removed it, then you should have used the uninstaller. So, you'd have to reinstall the same version, and then run the uninstaller. Contact McAfee, requesting assistant for which one to use: Contact McAfee Customer Support - McAfee. All another reason to keep security forward off of your Mac.

How to remove "Your McAfee Has Expired" pop-up notifications? I don't have McAfee and it wants me to renew it. Virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.