AirTag not showing on map when away from home

AirTag only shows last seen at home not where it actually is when away from home

iPhone (2)

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 6:13 AM

I bought one for my daughter. I attached it to the inside of her backpack (she's only five) in case the bus is late I can see where she is at. Or when she goes to her grandmother's, I can randomly check her location. The air tag is never in real time. It's always "17 minutes ago" or some other time shown, but not at that precise moment. The air tag is useless if I'm looking to see where her bus is but it still has her at school.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 6:13 AM in response to Atagquestions1

I bought one for my daughter. I attached it to the inside of her backpack (she's only five) in case the bus is late I can see where she is at. Or when she goes to her grandmother's, I can randomly check her location. The air tag is never in real time. It's always "17 minutes ago" or some other time shown, but not at that precise moment. The air tag is useless if I'm looking to see where her bus is but it still has her at school.

Sep 26, 2023 3:03 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

so how come that my dad has his iphone with him have 4g/5g sginal while walking with my dog in a park, my dog has an airtag and the location is not being reported back at any time, thats 30feet away, location from my dad it is reported live but not the air tag, so what is going on with it, it only reports back when they are both at home.

Dec 25, 2023 6:50 AM in response to Atagquestions1

i am currently on vacation and my dog is with my MIL who has an iPhone and her location is hated with me. My dogs are staying with her and they both have air tags but their location will not update even though and iPhone is near them at all times. Why are they not working. Is there a setting she needs to turn on on her phone to do air tags? She has WiFi and blue tooth and location services on. What am I missing?!

Sep 11, 2023 8:25 AM in response to dbenson37

As stated previously, the location of the AirTag can only update when there is a phone nearby. The AirTag is not a device that has GPS tracking built in and has to rely on a bluetooth connection to a phone that does have the GPS capability. When you see a location that says "17 minutes ago", then that is because there was a device within about 30 feet of your daughter that transmitted the location at that time. If you are looking for real time tracking, it would be better to put a phone in her backpack with the sound turned off to avoid distractions. Since she is only 5, you could put a luggage lock on a zipper inside the backpack.

Jan 23, 2024 2:25 PM in response to Rudegar

iPhone, Bluetooth on, find my on, key chain on, 2FA on, running latest iOS, , only works when within distance of registered iPhone.doesn’t work with shared device.

told by Apple support that device needs to be iOS 17 and device needs to be iPhone 12 and above.

anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Jan 23, 2024 3:45 PM in response to Tesserax

Let say you have two iPhones and the air tag at home if you look at it shows at home, if one of the persons takes his iPhone and the dog out the air tag won’t report back is out there will remain saying it’s at home, even if you locate the second iPhone will give you a live view of the person but the air tag won’t update no matter what

Jan 15, 2024 7:20 AM in response to miah150

Like all the types of tag, bar those deliberately designed to be full GPS trackers and hence having a SIM card, outside Bluetooth range requires someone to be nearby with the relevant tracking app and in Bluetooth range. I don’t know whether Android phones can have an app that tracks all makes of tags, certainly my old Chipolo app was device specific. So an Apple tag is liable to be seen by an Apple phone and Apple phones are very numerous where’s phones running Chipolo may not. The Android app for checking Apple tags but it does gives alerts if someone is close to your tag and enables you to identify contact details for a found tag. For complete tracking you must have a racket with both GPS and a sim card

AirTag not showing on map when away from home

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.