Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Problems With Hulu Live TV app on Apple TV

Let me preface this by saying I have tried restarting the app, updating the app, removing and reinstalling the app, and making sure Apple TV is fully updated. I have also spent hours on the phone with Hulu support and their conclusion is that the source of the problems is Apple TV and that Apple has acknowledged this. I think they just don't know what is going wrong and are pointing fingers, but I figured I'd turn here for help.

1. When I switch to a Hulu Live TV channel, the program sometimes (often) starts playing the video for the first 10-15 seconds without audio. Note this is not a sync issue where the audio and video are out of sync. The video is simply silent until there's a slight buffering and the audio kicks in. Sometimes if I rewind 10-20 seconds, the audio will kick in then. Note that if I change channels through the iPhone or iPad app, or through the web interface (Windows 11), this does not happen. Only on Apple TV.
  2. The second issue is that programs record randomly to the DVR. Some programs were recorded once and then the recording setting was turned off, others were never set to record but record anyway. It is usually the same program that records over and over - Episode 4 of show ABC. I delete the recordings and a few days later they are back again. I turn recording on and back off again to try and reset the off-setting, and they still show up. Note, these programs appear in my DVR when viewed through the iPhone/iPad app or through the Windows web interface.
  3. The third issue is when playing back recorded programs in the DVR, sometimes the video will stop playing, though the audio continues. The video simply freezes up and the audio continues. Sometimes if I remove and reinstall the Hulu App, the program will continue playing, but not always. This usually happens at the same place in the recording each time I try to play it back. This does not happen in the iPhone/iPad app or when using the Windows browser.

I've been in IT for over 30 years. My instinct is that there's a problem with the Hulu app for Apple TV, but as I said above, Hulu claims that Apple has acknowledged there is a problem with Apple TV. I have many other apps installed on my Apple TV and none of them experience the same streaming problems, though none have DVR features.

This is also happening on 3 different Apple TV devices, all with an updated tvOS and current versions of the apps. I have tried removing and reinstalling the app on each device as well as restarting the Apple TV devices. The only thing I haven't tried yet is resetting the Apple TV devices to factory settings. I am reticent to do this because I'll have to download a dozen plus apps again, provide login credentials and set preferences all over again.

Thanks for reading through all this. I am hoping you can shed some light on these issues. If not, my next step is to contact Apple support directly, as Hulu Support has thrown in the towel.

FuskieBP

Apple TV 4K (1st generation)

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2023 6:01 PM

I corrected the issue by getting rid of Hulu.

Similar questions

46 replies

Jan 9, 2024 12:06 PM in response to ssemper1

It’s actually the Hulu app on the AppleTV — I don’t have any issues like this with any other streaming app on my appleTV, and I’ve pretty much used them all. Even smaller companies with ostensibly less money and fewer resources seem to be able to stand up apps with minor glitches at the most. Hulu’s app wouldn’t have made it out of QA at any other company.

I know folks with Hulu on other platforms, and like you, they have no issues. But process of elimination puts it squarely on the Hulu AppleTV app developers. Either Hulu just doesn’t find the number of Hulu subscribers on this hardware platform worth fixing the app, or that team is just hiding behind Hulu’s practice of not really paying attention to customer feedback.

Oct 8, 2023 9:07 AM in response to FuskieBP

I'm experiencing similar issues. For example, while watching CNN in the Hulu Live app the time elapsed, status bar will appear on the bottom of the screen. When you attempt to use the Apple TV remote and menu back to the previous screen it just freezes. The only way to get out of the CNN live screen is to use the Home button on the Apple TV remote. You then hear audio only for about 15 seconds. This also happens on ESPN and other live programs in Hulu Live. I have also updated the app and also reinstalled the app from scratch. Very frustrated with Hulu Live app on Apple TV.

Sep 17, 2023 5:58 PM in response to FuskieBP

I have experienced the exact same issue as above with 7 different Apple TV 4K 1st and 2nd gen between my own service and my elderly parents service as well. It’s not the network because I have redundant service from 2 different ISP’s, one being passive fiber and the other DOCSIS. All Apple TVs are networked hardwired. I have also tested one of my Apple TVs on a 100gigE mux and had the same issue. The issue does not exist on iPad, iPhone, Mac (any browser) or competitor OTT devices Roku or fire stick. Something is specifically wrong with the Hulu app for Apple TV only. If anyone at apple or Hulu sees this, please check the coding on the last update. This is only a recent issue since this summer that I’ve noticed.

Dec 9, 2023 10:21 AM in response to atxbazan

Similar issue with Hulu through Apple TV. To save time, I have the latest and greatest of Apple TV, no memory or streaming issues, etc. I have tried everything posted by Hulu and Apple. No change. it’s the only app that has the “spinning wheel of death.” It started a a month or so ago. After the last Apple software update.

I now watch HULU through my LG tv. Works fine. By process of elimination, it is simply a matter of Hulu and Apple not getting along. Each side points the finger at the other. Very disappointing behavior. Seem to care very little about customer service or satisfaction.

Feb 1, 2024 10:27 AM in response to FuskieBP

That was the most excellent, detailed, articulate, comprehensive and clear description of a problem I have ever read on any forum in the history of the world. Seriously.

I love the first paragraph especially. “No people… it’s NOT x, y, z… etc.”

I have all of the exact same problems as described. I have the same equipment you have.

I’ll add 1 additional problem. The Hulu app crashes CONSTANTLY. For me, the remedy of scrubbing live tv backward 15 seconds works maybe 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time it crashes the app, which results in the “QR Code of Death” b**l s**t. Then the Hulu app must be quit and rebooted and re-navigated to live tv because Hulu has no ability to remember any default settings.

Hulu app is 100% the problem. It’s pure garbage.

It’s as if no one at Hulu has ever even used their own app. They’ve definitely never tested it. All of these Hulu issues you describe have been ongoing for at least a year. The problem you describe with the DVR has been going on for the past 4 years since I first got Hulu.

Using Hulu is like using computer operating systems in the 90’s. It’s a constant effort just to keep the thing from crashing or to have the most basic feature actually work properly.

Remember the 90’s when computers would constantly freeze or crash and the only support solution would be… “have you tried rebooting?” That is the Hulu experience.

Insult to injury… Hulu refuses to acknowledge that all the problems you articulated so well are 100% a result of Hulu.

Not AppleTV.

Not my WiFi (Gigabyte optical)

Not TVOS.

Not the HDMI port or cable.

Not the ridiculously over priced ($350 each) HomePods.

This is 100% on the doorstep of Hulu engineering incompetence. I was forgiving 4 / 5 years ago. But now Hulu has Disney money and technological access. Hulu doesn’t get a “pass” any longer for being “new”. Hulu is Disney owned. No excuses Disney. Stop jacking up prices and FIX YOUR S**T Hulu APP.

In the past 4 years Hulu prices have gone up 300% (price increases every 6-8 months) The usability of the app is pathetically poor. The features don’t work properly. Full of glitches and bugs. And the app reliability is in the toilet.

“Cord cutting” and dumping cable companies like Comcast (evil, hateful, price gouging, s**t company) in favor of streaming and selecting apps a la carte, is still an unfulfilled hopeful promise.

Hulu now charges as much as the worst cable companies used to charge, but the Hulu functionality and reliability and UX are worse than cable ever was.

Trouble is, the live tv alternatives like Sling and YouTube TV are even worse.

Thank you for describing the issues so well. But don’t waste your time troubleshooting with Apple. It’s not Apple. It’s Disney / Hulu.

Jan 9, 2024 8:17 AM in response to BrentSMP

Same issues here. With Hulu on appleTV it does seem like it’s the app has a memory leak or something odd. App works just fine on other devices. Each Hulu app is built for the specific OS, so it has to be the Hulu app for the A-TV. Besides the spinning wheel delay in audio, on ESPN+ live broadcasts, if I choose the second of two feeds or if I chose the first and switch to the second, then it locks up completely with the spinning wheel and nothing else responds other than hitting home button, reopening app and settling for the first feed. It’s like the first feed fails to release memory locations so the second feed has no access. Crazy. Works fine on idevices and fire tv, I can go in, select a feed, if not my preference then I can simply back out, select the second and all is fine. I’ve also seen some flaky cnn behavior as another post mentioned.

The History app has also shown some strange behavior on both appleTV and on fire stick. In some case of watching one show then going to search and select a different show, the audio for the first show continues to play while the second show is playing. The fix is simply to back out of/close app and restart fresh. Thankfully this does work. Unlike the Hulu/espn+ live feed wheel of death - nothing has been able to fix that so far.

It’s a bit absurd how so many apps these days just let these problems fester. They seem to think the pool of subscribers is endless so no worries about losing a few disgruntled customers, but eventually higher prices and continuing problems will create opportunities for new, better options and the old early providers will have a reckoning.

Jan 9, 2024 12:12 PM in response to FuskieBP

The audio continuing after app crashes problem is so severe that it leaks out into the OS UI sometimes - I’ve had running audio that continued to play even after backing out of the Hulu app altogether, in the main app grid of the AppleTV! Sometimes I have to start running video in a different app to finally clear the Hulu audio stream. At that point any visit back to Hulu usually goes haywire fast, so I just reboot the device.

I wish Apple’s app screening process covered really flakey quality issues like this, if they rejected the app, I’m guessing it would get Hulu’s attention and get it fixed.

Jan 28, 2024 2:41 PM in response to CBTEXAS78

Ok, I’ll repeat this since you only got to step 1 of a differential diagnosis before settling on an answer.

The issues anre actually with the *Hulu app* on the *AppleTV* — the combination. I know folks with Hulu on other platforms, and like you, they have no similar issues. If your investigation and reasoning stops there, sure, AppleTV is the culprit. But…

I *don’t* have any issues like these with any other streaming app on my appleTV, and I’ve extensively used all the major ones and spent plenty of time on smaller ones — ones who don’t have remotely the development resources Hulu has. They all seem to be able to produce and maintain AppleTV apps, mostly with zero glitches, and minor bugs at the most. Hulu’s AppleTV app wouldn’t have made it out of QA at any other company.

Companies often, even typically, have separate groups dedicated to developing the same app for different platforms. (MS Office was not developed and maintained by the same people as MS Windows, for example.) Since Hulu’s apps are stable on Android platforms, and everyone else’s apps are stable on AppleTV, it seems pretty clear that it’s the *Hulu AppleTV group* that are at the root of the disaster that is the Hulu App on this platform. Either Hulu just doesn’t find the number of AppleTV Hulu subscribers worth the resources to build a solid app, or that dev team is just hiding their incompetence behind Hulu’s practice of not really paying attention to customer feedback. (Or maybe their Android group got saddled by the suits with developing both and are just muddling around in a platform they don’t know and don’t want to 😂)

I will say that some of the issues that look like memory leaks into areas way outside the app itself are so egregious that I think Apple should be pressuring Hulu to improve quality, as Hulu’s bad behavior can reflect poorly on the whole platform, ergo your reaction.

In any case, next season I won’t be getting Hulu Live again, barring some industry news that they fired their whole ATV dev team for incompetence and started fresh. Typical v1.0 apps have fewer bugs than we’re suffering with now.

Feb 15, 2024 5:33 PM in response to ChienK

Yes. AirPlay to cast iPad or iPhone to Apple TV has worked well for me, especially when watching something that’s misbehaving on the Hulu app. Mostly our problem is hung ESPN+ live sports when we open a feed then decide to change to the other feed. I can go to my iPad and it works flawlessly then send it to the Apple TV and I’ve had no problems.

Problems With Hulu Live TV app on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.