Apple watch is still tracking offline iphone

My phone was stolen today and immediately turned off. Yet, when I connected to my wifi at home with my apple watch, I have been able to track my phone literally halfway across the state I live in. It updates on find my devices every 10-20 minutes. How is this possible, and how accurate is it?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 10:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2023 10:51 PM

The accuracy of the location information depends on various factors:

1. The last known location accuracy: If your phone had a strong GPS signal and other location services enabled before it was turned off, the last known location will be more accurate.
  2. Wi-Fi network coverage: The location accuracy can be improved if your phone's last known location was near a known Wi-Fi hotspot or a Wi-Fi network with good coverage.
  3. Cellular network coverage: If your phone was connected to cellular data before being turned off, the location accuracy might be better in areas with good cellular coverage.
  4. Movement of the device: If the thief is moving, the location updates will reflect the new positions as they occur. However, keep in mind that if the device is stationary, the updates may not change.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2023 10:51 PM in response to SomeoneSendHelp

The accuracy of the location information depends on various factors:

1. The last known location accuracy: If your phone had a strong GPS signal and other location services enabled before it was turned off, the last known location will be more accurate.
  2. Wi-Fi network coverage: The location accuracy can be improved if your phone's last known location was near a known Wi-Fi hotspot or a Wi-Fi network with good coverage.
  3. Cellular network coverage: If your phone was connected to cellular data before being turned off, the location accuracy might be better in areas with good cellular coverage.
  4. Movement of the device: If the thief is moving, the location updates will reflect the new positions as they occur. However, keep in mind that if the device is stationary, the updates may not change.

Apple watch is still tracking offline iphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.