QR code is blurry

I'm experiencing an issue with viewing QR codes in PDF files on my Apple device. When I open a PDF file using Apple's default applications, the QR code appears blurry. However, when I open the same file with third-party applications, the QR code is clear. The file also appears clear on Windows operating systems. I'm looking for a solution to make the QR codes appear clear when using Apple's default applications. The screenshot shows the Data-Matrix code, but the same with the qr-code. I see this problem on all my Apple devices: iPhone 13, MacBook Pro 2016. And on several recent operating systems.

MacBook Pro KP

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 4:56 AM

21 replies

Jul 31, 2023 5:13 AM in response to KolinPower

This looks like a resolution problem to me. When you enlarge a small graphic, you don't increase necessarily the resolution of the image. Enlarging just spreads the existing pixels out over a larger area and you get blurry images.

The fix is to go to a higher resolution, sometimes much higher resolution, image.

Whether or not your software can actually do that is unknown.

Jul 31, 2023 6:49 AM in response to KolinPower

Items the Mac thinks are TEXT are scaled up, and anti-aliased for pleasant transitions and smooth looking diagonals and pleasant character-edges when viewed on screen at scaled resolutions, for easy viewing.

Items that the Mac thinks are GRAPHICS are not fiddled with.

¿is it possible your QR code is inserted in the file as if it were a single large character of TEXT?

If so, that is a Bad Idea™, because the Mac will "fix it for you".

Jul 31, 2023 12:24 PM in response to KolinPower

By the time it has made it into the document as a TEXT character, it is FAR too late to just fiddle with smoothing. You need to go back to the source document and fix the fundamental error of presenting a graphic as a large capital letter in a barcode font.

Make it into a graphic in the original document, (e.g., by screen-capturing a picture of it and placing the picture in the document) and your troubles will cease.

Aug 2, 2023 7:13 AM in response to KolinPower

Like the very first code you posted, that one is INHERENTLY smeary and awful. It is not a screen resolution or display problem.

Yet you were able to post ONE crisp one above.

what is the difference? where did each come from?

is the problem in Browser-capturing these into a PDF from a web site? EXACTLY how was the smeary one processed that the crisp one was not?

Aug 3, 2023 7:20 AM in response to KolinPower

No one disputes that the QR code is blurry. it has definitely been over-processed.

What I am trying to understand is, "EXACTLY what steps did you go through to get that file in its current condition."

For example, Did you take a screenshot to collect that download?

What is shown on web site documents is often already a .pdf file. If you download that pdf file DIRECTLY, using the download icon already on the screen, rather than first opening in Safari then downloading the screen, would it be any better?

Aug 3, 2023 6:36 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I open the website of a state company and click the "download" button. The point is that the file itself is fine, if I forward it to Windows or open it in Chrome, then the QR code will be clear. But all native Apple programs blur it. That is, if a Windows user downloads a PDF file and then forwards it to MacOS, the code will also blur.

QR code is blurry

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.