Too many redirects... I disabled ITP... Now what?

I am using Safari 16.5.2 on my 2020 M1 MBP. I get the message about too many redirects when I sign into Amazon (the only site so far that brings up this message). If I don't log in, I think it works fine but once I log in that pesky pop up pops up!

I tried a couple of things-I turned of the cross-track feature under Privacy. I also went into Manage websites and deleted all references to Amazon.

Neither of those has helped. Any other ideas? Thank you!

Judy’s MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 6:58 AM

13 replies

Aug 1, 2023 7:20 PM in response to mrstee

Ok, something else is going on. Even though most of its suggestions are mundane please review the following: If Safari doesn't open a page or work as expected on your Mac - Apple Support. For example, if you use the iCloud+ Private Relay feature, try loading the page without it. Don't use a VPN, and it should just go without saying that the presence of any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", or "Internet security" products including "banking security" — anything at all in that broad category of utterly useless garbage — will cause nothing but problems.

Review all those suggestions and by all means please write back if you want more.

Don't block cookies either. Every interactive website relies upon them to function.

Aug 2, 2023 6:17 PM in response to mrstee

Safe Mode is not intended to fix anything; the reason for using it is to determine whether the problem manifests while in that mode or not.

No matter, at this point I suggest using EtreCheck. A description, download link and instructions for posting its report in a reply to this Discussion are here: How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report - Apple Community. It may reveal some actionable information, or not, but it may preclude having to ask and answer additional time-consuming questions.

Post its report here and perhaps it will show something useful.

Aug 2, 2023 6:59 PM in response to mrstee

If you tried downloading EtreCheck from the link in Old Toad's User Tip and it is redirecting you to the App Store, that would appear to be yet another manifestation of the "too many redirects" problem that lies at the heart of your question. It shouldn't be doing that. In that case perhaps contacting Apple is the way to go.

They may suggest that you reinstall macOS: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support, which is harmless enough, so consider doing that even before you contact them.

I wouldn't bother with Amazon; they won't know how to do anything but sell you more stuff.

Aug 1, 2023 5:49 PM in response to John Galt

Well, I thought it worked but I realized that I hadn't signed into Amazon and it won't let me in. "Too many redirects..." I cleared ALL my browsing history. I checked (in Safari Privacy settings) to block all cookies but when I went to get onto Amazon it said I needed to enable cookies to use the site. So I turned them back on. I was able to look for something but just that once. Ugh.

Aug 2, 2023 7:37 AM in response to John Galt

So far it's not fixed. BUT what I found that does work is when I logged into my test id and put in my Apple ID & password when requested and I can access the Amazon website using Safari. I tried booting into Safe Mode-no go. I can access Amazon through the Amazon app on my iPhone 14 Pro and iPad Air 3. It's just my Mac that won't let me. Oh, I can also access Amazon on my iPhone 14 Pro via Safari. Haven't tried that on my iPad.

Aug 2, 2023 6:31 PM in response to John Galt

I may just call Apple to get help but given that it's only 1 website I am not sure that they will help me. Maybe contacting Amazon might be better. So far if I want to order anything I use Firefox... 😉

I went to the website to download Entrecheck and I was taken to the Apple App store and they don't have it. I can pursue it further but right now I am a bit tired of all this. Take care.

Too many redirects... I disabled ITP... Now what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.