how to reduce the number of text messages in iCloud storage?

My iCloud storage is almost full so I want to reduce the number of text messages stored in iCloud.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 11:45 PM

611Belem wrote:

My main goal is to delete all the text messages stored in iCloud via MacBook Air as my iCloud is almost full.

The process I stated above works regardless of the origin of the messages. iCloud Messages may have come from an iPhone, iPad, Mac …

No record is kept of what machine originated each message.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 11:45 PM in response to 611Belem

611Belem wrote:

My main goal is to delete all the text messages stored in iCloud via MacBook Air as my iCloud is almost full.

The process I stated above works regardless of the origin of the messages. iCloud Messages may have come from an iPhone, iPad, Mac …

No record is kept of what machine originated each message.

Jul 31, 2023 6:42 PM in response to 611Belem

611Belem Said:

"how to reduce the number of text messages in iCloud storage?"

-------

First, Get a Record of Each Thread:

Use my User Tip:: How to Save or Print a Complete iPhone Messages Thread - Apple Support

Then, Download All of iCloud:

If you wanted to, you could export all of iCloud onto an external disk, verify that the download is accessible, and then trash all of iCloud. In doing so, you would start iCloud anew.  Use my User TipGetting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

Aug 1, 2023 1:46 PM in response to 611Belem

611Belem Said:

"how to reduce the number of text messages in iCloud storage?: I like that idea as I am already backing up my computer on an external disk. Do you believe that iCloud is no longer need if I keep doing that. Thanks.

———-

You are welcome.

Backup Up is Recommended, on my Part:

iCloud is a service that will be there until Apple cancels it.

So, If you keep using iCloud, then, by all means, back it up every-so-often.

If you don’t use iCloud, then there be no need to back it up.

If you no longer have a need for iCloud, then cancel you subscription, should you desire.

On personal note, I plan to stick with iCloud, so that I can access things when I’m on-the-go, having access to my computer’s internal storage.

how to reduce the number of text messages in iCloud storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.