downloads

My current, os is Ventura 13.4.1, Safari Version 16.5.2, MacBook Air M1, and I am unable to download PDF's from my bank & a different financial institution. Been doing it monthly for years, never an issue. I open the PDF, go down and hit the download symbol, nothing. The download folder doesn't open. What am I doing wrong? Anyone else with the Issue?

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2023 3:58 PM

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 31, 2023 3:58 PM in response to Green-jean

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Aug 4, 2023 9:42 AM in response to John Galt

It was weird. I restarted, problem persisted. Figured it out by using a different download site, the download icon was immediately visible on safaris menu bar and also set off the motion icon on the PDF (still went to the wrong folder). The downloads were from a financial company and the download was happening, just not showing, going to the systems download folder, instead of mine, with the icon not showing & no motion with the PDF. I'm the only user so not a deal. Downloads have been working seamless since manually correcting the problem. A problem with the financial company which is in the process of migrating my data to the company that purchased them, an os update, or one of the new quick system security patches? Probably one of the above.

Thank you.

downloads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.