Why not subtitles in my language?

I rent a movie 'About Schmidt' via AppleTV and AppleTV+ with information about the movie in Swedish. I was surprised that the movie then didn't have subtitles. Only in English, Russian (!!!) and Turkish. I find it strange to have a lot of information about plot etc and then not have subtitles in the same language.

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 8:42 AM

Subtitles need to be created and added to the content manually, which can be a time-consuming process. Some content providers may prioritize adding subtitles in languages with larger viewer populations or those with higher demand.

[Edited by Moderator]

3 replies

Aug 30, 2023 4:16 AM in response to chapyl

Personally, I think the main language of a country should be included at least as subtitles for any title in a given country or country-like region. But it isn’t mandatory.

New Line Cinema/Warner Bros seems to be the supplying studio for this title for your region, and a s such responsible for the decision to include any of the subtitles at moment of bringing this title to the Store. As descriptions and subtitles are separate properties, one does not require the other. Luckily, WB seems more generous with subtitles for more recent movies now.

Please make it a habit to check the Languages section on the Details page for any movie that you wish to buy or rent.

Aug 1, 2023 2:20 AM in response to DanyMicheal

But why have a lot of information about the movie in a language they not provide subtitles in? It makes no sense! If the information was in English I would have checked the subtitles information. I have bought/rent several movies and this was the first time a movie with information in Swedish didn't have subtitles in the same language.

Why not subtitles in my language?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.