connect Mac to smart tv wirelessly

I would like to use my smart tv as a monitor , can I connect it through bluetooth or through the wifi ?

Mac Pro 20

15 inch

I want to use the tv as my monitor. can it be done without using a cable?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 7:10 AM

5 replies

Aug 1, 2023 9:27 AM in response to norab831

NOT for Full-motion, full-color Video. Spreadsheets, Program listings, stock quotes, and other slow-to-change data work great.

if you want to play games or show movies, connect with a high-end display cable.

If your TV is smart enough to feature Apple AirPlay, then you can display (comparatively) low-res, lower-refresh-rate screen images across using Airplay. If your TV is an Android device, there may be add-on software available that emulates some features of a genuine Airplay connection.

Aug 1, 2023 9:41 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I watched a Christmas Show with musical content (but little motion) using AirPlay ONCE. I will never make that mistake again. The Singing (admittedly the most demanding Audio possible) was muffled and lifeless, and the picture (even with little action) was greasy, jerky, low resolution -- Not sharp.

I connected via a cable and re-watched the show. The picture was sharp, and the sound was clear and delightful.

--------

Full-motion, Full-color Video is THE highest data rate of anything you ask a display to do for you. The cables that support it properly use tuned dual-rail Driver and Receiver circuits and are limited to under a Meter in length.

You are not providing anything even approaching the 32,000 M bits/sec pathway provided by an appropriate DisplayPort, ThunderBolt or USB-C cable used for full-motion video at high resolutions if you connect it over-the-air You can't get those data rates 'over-the-air' using high-end fast 1,000 M bits/sec Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

connect Mac to smart tv wirelessly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.