Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Saving photos “permanently” to albums

Is there a way (in the Photos app on iPhones) to save/organize photos in albums as an actual copy, so that it won’t get deleted out of the album as I clean out my camera roll? (Practical example: logos)

My current best alternative solution is to save them to folders in my Files folder, but retrieving them is often clunky.

(I did find old answers to a similar question elsewhere here, but was hoping my alternative solution wasn’t still necessary.)

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 3:44 PM

Even if you make an actual copy and put it in an album, the copy will still be in the library and will still show up in All Photos (if that's what you mean by "camera roll").

Albums are not separate places to store photos and videos. They are just lists of items stored elsewhere in the library. Any given photo or video can be in zero, one, two, or many albums while taking up space just once. That's just how Apple designed the Album/Folder system.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2023 3:44 PM in response to fritzio

Even if you make an actual copy and put it in an album, the copy will still be in the library and will still show up in All Photos (if that's what you mean by "camera roll").

Albums are not separate places to store photos and videos. They are just lists of items stored elsewhere in the library. Any given photo or video can be in zero, one, two, or many albums while taking up space just once. That's just how Apple designed the Album/Folder system.

Saving photos “permanently” to albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.