Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photo filing

how can i drag my photos to albums without them staying in the library? i want them to be in the albums only once filed - possible?

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2022 10:13 AM

Pictures aren't exactly "in" an album. When you put a picture into an album, its name is added to a list of pictures to display when the album is clicked. So two albums can both have the same picture name in their lists, and that picture will show up when you click either album. And when you delete a picture from an album, its name remains in the lists of other albums.

So albums give a specific view of your pictures. My Grand Canyon album, for instance, offers a view of pictures taken on various trips to the Grand Canyon, and my Trip to California album shows the pictures on that trip, some of which are the same pictures as shown in the Grand Canyon album.

The Library View shows all of the pictures in the entire Library. You can't remove a picture from the Library View without deleting it entirely.

If you want to see pictures that haven't yet been listed in a album, you can use a "Smart Album." You choose File>New Smart Album. You can title the new album, and then you set it to Album>is not>Any, like I did here

I have a bunch of pictures that I have yet to put in albums!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2022 10:13 AM in response to CHTO23

Pictures aren't exactly "in" an album. When you put a picture into an album, its name is added to a list of pictures to display when the album is clicked. So two albums can both have the same picture name in their lists, and that picture will show up when you click either album. And when you delete a picture from an album, its name remains in the lists of other albums.

So albums give a specific view of your pictures. My Grand Canyon album, for instance, offers a view of pictures taken on various trips to the Grand Canyon, and my Trip to California album shows the pictures on that trip, some of which are the same pictures as shown in the Grand Canyon album.

The Library View shows all of the pictures in the entire Library. You can't remove a picture from the Library View without deleting it entirely.

If you want to see pictures that haven't yet been listed in a album, you can use a "Smart Album." You choose File>New Smart Album. You can title the new album, and then you set it to Album>is not>Any, like I did here

I have a bunch of pictures that I have yet to put in albums!

photo filing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.