Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to be able to reorder photos in my library and albums by dragging them around. Can this be done?

Is it possible to reorder photos by dragging them within my library or an album without having to create a new album?

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2021 11:26 PM

You can't in the library. You can't in smart albums.

In normal albums you can drag into a specific order. But that order is fragile, there is no way of saving the order or forcing it to stick. If somthing causes the album to be re-sorted, it will be sorted according to your selection in the sort setting for the album (Date ascending, date descending, title)

The only way to give a custom sort which can be retained is to give the images titles with a prefixed number - eg 001, 002, 003 etc. Then sort by title.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2021 11:26 PM in response to nan201

You can't in the library. You can't in smart albums.

In normal albums you can drag into a specific order. But that order is fragile, there is no way of saving the order or forcing it to stick. If somthing causes the album to be re-sorted, it will be sorted according to your selection in the sort setting for the album (Date ascending, date descending, title)

The only way to give a custom sort which can be retained is to give the images titles with a prefixed number - eg 001, 002, 003 etc. Then sort by title.

Apr 13, 2021 5:48 AM in response to nan201

To add more context to my original post, I was asking about reordering photos because I scanned about a 1000 old pictures using an app called Photomyne and then I moved the photos into iPhoto. The photos cover a 50-year time span. I hoped to be able to move them around with ease in iPhoto before then moving them into separate albums. I figured out that I can put them in an album and move them around, but honestly the functionality feels very clunky and is not user friendly. Wish I had kept the pics in Photomyne as it’s easier to manipulate

I want to be able to reorder photos in my library and albums by dragging them around. Can this be done?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.