Apple Watch - Locked but already deleted from ICloud and FindMy

Hey I bought a used Apple Watch from eBay, the seller had already deleted from iCloud and FindMy and reset the watch, before he gave it to me. But when I returned home, the locked screen turned up.

Does the watch did not get notified that it was removed from the iCloud, because it was reset or something? It is a two hour drive, and not worth for me to drive that long.. is there a way to let the watch update, so it sees that there is no connection to any account anymore, or can somebody in the Apple shop take a look at it?

I have everything for it here like OVP and multiple Bands and stuff..

thanks in advance!

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 4:15 PM

If you still have contact with the seller, ask them to review Apple's support document and check again that the watch was successfully removed from their Apple ID.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

Particularly the paragraph

/*

If you already gave away your Apple Watch, you can erase and turn off Activation Lock from iCloud.com. Here's how:

1. On a computer, go to Find My iPhone on iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. 
    2. Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.
    3. Click Erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.
    4. Click the X button  next to your Apple Watch. 

*/

Additional information: The check for Activation Lock is made live on line to Apple's servers when you try to setup the device again. Lock status is not stored in the target device, so it is not vulnerable to wiping, erasing, or any other attacks on the device.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2023 4:15 PM in response to MinTasy

If you still have contact with the seller, ask them to review Apple's support document and check again that the watch was successfully removed from their Apple ID.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

Particularly the paragraph

/*

If you already gave away your Apple Watch, you can erase and turn off Activation Lock from iCloud.com. Here's how:

1. On a computer, go to Find My iPhone on iCloud.com and sign in with your Apple ID. 
    2. Select All Devices, then click your Apple Watch.
    3. Click Erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.
    4. Click the X button  next to your Apple Watch. 

*/

Additional information: The check for Activation Lock is made live on line to Apple's servers when you try to setup the device again. Lock status is not stored in the target device, so it is not vulnerable to wiping, erasing, or any other attacks on the device.

Jun 11, 2024 6:35 PM in response to helppls333

Activation Lock is designed to prevent anyone else from using an Apple Watch if it's ever lost or stolen.

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Activation Lock is an anti-theft feature that cannot be bypassed. Only the previous owner can remove the lock by using their Apple ID & password. Apple will not help you find the previous owner. If the previous owner cannot or will not remove the lock, then the watch is useless to you or anyone else. Try to get a refund (through eBay) or dispose of the watch properly. In the future, see the 'Before you buy a watch from a third-party' section in:

Apple Watch - Locked but already deleted from ICloud and FindMy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.