Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

If I download my photos to my Mac, can I then delete them from my iPhone without losing them from the computer?

I want to download my photos directly to my computer so that I have a hard copy of them outside of the cloud, how can I do this while being able to delete from iPhone but not lose them forever?

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2023 7:17 PM

picshelp15 Said:

"If I download my photos to my Mac, can I then delete them from my iPhone without losing them from the computer?: I want to download my photos directly to my computer so that I have a hard copy of them outside of the cloud, how can I do this while being able to delete from iPhone but not lose them forever?"

-------

Getting a Copy of your iCloud Photos:

One unique method...

Download All of iCloud to an External Drive:

One thought would be to download all of iCloud, and then search through it in Finder on a Mac. You would download it to an external drive, and then open the drive in Finder. Search through it using the search bar on the top-right corner of the Finder window. Enter various extensions to see what pops up. Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 1, 2023 7:17 PM in response to picshelp15

picshelp15 Said:

"If I download my photos to my Mac, can I then delete them from my iPhone without losing them from the computer?: I want to download my photos directly to my computer so that I have a hard copy of them outside of the cloud, how can I do this while being able to delete from iPhone but not lose them forever?"

-------

Getting a Copy of your iCloud Photos:

One unique method...

Download All of iCloud to an External Drive:

One thought would be to download all of iCloud, and then search through it in Finder on a Mac. You would download it to an external drive, and then open the drive in Finder. Search through it using the search bar on the top-right corner of the Finder window. Enter various extensions to see what pops up. Use my user tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

If I download my photos to my Mac, can I then delete them from my iPhone without losing them from the computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.