Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring photos from my Mac to my iPhone.

I want to be able to transfer photos from my Mac onto my iPhone but I want to be able to delete them from my iphone. I have plenty of storage just can’t work out a way to transfer them

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 1:03 AM

The syncing of photos using the Finder and a USB connection is somewhat limited. The photos cannot be deleted directly on the iPhone.

The easiest way would be to create a small Photos Library on your Mac with just the photos you want on your iPhone, then use iCloud Photos to sync the photos between your Mac and the iPhone (Use iCloud Photos on iPhone - Apple Support). This way you can manage easily which photos will appear on your iPhone and sync any adjustments and metadata between your devices. You will be able to use the synced iCloud photos the same way as the photos you save to your iPhone from the camera. They will be less limited than photos synced via USB.

You can still keep a larger Photos Library with all your photos on your Mac, as you can have several Photos Libraries. Only one of them can be setup to sync with iCloud and appear on all your devices.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2022 1:03 AM in response to me-me3

The syncing of photos using the Finder and a USB connection is somewhat limited. The photos cannot be deleted directly on the iPhone.

The easiest way would be to create a small Photos Library on your Mac with just the photos you want on your iPhone, then use iCloud Photos to sync the photos between your Mac and the iPhone (Use iCloud Photos on iPhone - Apple Support). This way you can manage easily which photos will appear on your iPhone and sync any adjustments and metadata between your devices. You will be able to use the synced iCloud photos the same way as the photos you save to your iPhone from the camera. They will be less limited than photos synced via USB.

You can still keep a larger Photos Library with all your photos on your Mac, as you can have several Photos Libraries. Only one of them can be setup to sync with iCloud and appear on all your devices.

Transferring photos from my Mac to my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.