how can I find lost photos when photo stream shut down

I assumed all of my photos from iPhone were saved to the icloud

When the my photo stream shut down I seemed to loose about 1000 photos

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 11:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 1:07 AM

My Photo Stream has only saved the most recent photos and only for at most thirty days. It has been only a temporary cache to transfer new photos automatically between your Apple devices. Perhaps you are confusing it with iCloud Photos or or Shared Albums. The shutdown of My Photo Stream should not have removed any photos stored in iCloud Photos or Shared albums. That are different cloud services offered by Apple.

Did you have My Photo Stream enabled when the shutdown came? It has been uploading new photos from your device to its cache in iCloud, at most 1000 photos, and only the photos added during the last thirty days. All older photos or in access of 1000 photos have automatically been removed from iCloud. Your devices have been showing you the cached photos and you could download and save them from there. You were supposed to save the photos on your iPhone in Photos during the 30 days, that they were in iCloud.

Have you done that?

The photos that you have seen in My Photo Stream will probably still be on the device that has uploaded them to My Photo Stream. My Photo Stream did not delete the photos from the device, that has uploaded the photos, unless you deleted the photos yourself. Look on the device, that has uploaded the photos to My Photo Stream, for example on your computer.

Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown – Apple Support (UK)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 1:07 AM in response to hjaager

My Photo Stream has only saved the most recent photos and only for at most thirty days. It has been only a temporary cache to transfer new photos automatically between your Apple devices. Perhaps you are confusing it with iCloud Photos or or Shared Albums. The shutdown of My Photo Stream should not have removed any photos stored in iCloud Photos or Shared albums. That are different cloud services offered by Apple.

Did you have My Photo Stream enabled when the shutdown came? It has been uploading new photos from your device to its cache in iCloud, at most 1000 photos, and only the photos added during the last thirty days. All older photos or in access of 1000 photos have automatically been removed from iCloud. Your devices have been showing you the cached photos and you could download and save them from there. You were supposed to save the photos on your iPhone in Photos during the 30 days, that they were in iCloud.

Have you done that?

The photos that you have seen in My Photo Stream will probably still be on the device that has uploaded them to My Photo Stream. My Photo Stream did not delete the photos from the device, that has uploaded the photos, unless you deleted the photos yourself. Look on the device, that has uploaded the photos to My Photo Stream, for example on your computer.

Information about the My Photo Stream shutdown – Apple Support (UK)

how can I find lost photos when photo stream shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.