Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Declined payment by Apple Pay

Hi! I made a payment in the online store via Apple Pay and got the notification that my payment was declined. But my money was taken anyway. The bank support says the transaction is successful, but the online store doesn't see my payment. So is my money stuck anywhere? Will I get it back?

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 6:04 AM

But I got the notification "declined" from Apple Pay, and it was ok on the bank's side

5 replies

Aug 3, 2023 6:31 AM in response to ValerieTer

This is an issue you’ll need to resolve with your bank. The bank sent your iPhone a decline and the merchant received a decline. Your bank has bank a mistake. They’ll need to investigate and adjust your account.

You can see recent Apple Pay history using information in this support article.

See your Apple Pay transaction history - Apple Support

Sometimes a three way call needs to happen between your bank the merchant and yourself. Do you bank at a bank with a local branch? Were they the funding source?

Aug 3, 2023 5:56 AM in response to ValerieTer

Apple is not a bank and never touches your funds. The issue is between your bank and the merchant. Apple can’t see your funds.

Apple Pay (on a secure device) transmits data from the merchant to your bank. Your bank approves or declines the transaction. The approval or decline is transmitted to the merchant. You bank has merchant account information and sends funds directly to the merchant.

Do you know the merchant? Are they a large company? Is it a private sale and perhaps a scam?

Declined payment by Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.