Can I connect two thunderbolt monitors to my MacBook Air 15" 2023 at the same time?

I am moving from a MacBook Pro to an Air. Previously I was able to to connect two thunderbolt monitors to my Pro. I have only two ports on my Air and one monitor connects beautifully but the other one will not connect. It still works fine with my Pro so I know it is not the monitor. Both monitors have the Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter. The monitor that does not want to connect is a A1407. Is there a reason this monitor will not connect with my Air?

MacBook Air 15″

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 7:05 AM

Your 15" M2 MacBook Air supports only a single external display.

MacBook Air (15-inch, M2, 2023) - Technical Specifications

Assuming that both of your monitors are Apple Thunderbolt Displays, and that both of your "Thunderbolt to USB-C" adapters are Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapters, either monitor alone, should work. But your MacBook Air will only drive one.

As these displays require Thunderbolt input, there are no "workaround" products (like DisplayLink adapters) that would let you drive two of them from your computer, even if you were willing to accept the significant drawbacks that can accompany the use of such workarounds.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 7:05 AM in response to Duffkb

Your 15" M2 MacBook Air supports only a single external display.

MacBook Air (15-inch, M2, 2023) - Technical Specifications

Assuming that both of your monitors are Apple Thunderbolt Displays, and that both of your "Thunderbolt to USB-C" adapters are Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapters, either monitor alone, should work. But your MacBook Air will only drive one.

As these displays require Thunderbolt input, there are no "workaround" products (like DisplayLink adapters) that would let you drive two of them from your computer, even if you were willing to accept the significant drawbacks that can accompany the use of such workarounds.

Aug 3, 2023 7:01 AM in response to Duffkb

Duffkb wrote:

I am moving from a MacBook Pro to an Air. Previously I was able to to connect two thunderbolt monitors to my Pro. I have only two ports on my Air and one monitor connects beautifully but the other one will not connect. It still works fine with my Pro so I know it is not the monitor. Both monitors have the Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter. The monitor that does not want to connect is a A1407. Is there a reason this monitor will not connect with my Air?

See this thread: does the new macbook air 15 support 2 ext… - Apple Community

Can I connect two thunderbolt monitors to my MacBook Air 15" 2023 at the same time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.