Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Apple Motion Objects suddenly disappear

When working on a project, suddenly the project’s objects (video, images, text) stop appearing in the Canvas. While they appear normal in the Timing pane, in the Project Pane the toggle switch is dimmed—though it is checked. Clicking on the toggle does nothing. 

When I replace the video clips and or add new objects (from different sources) the problem remains. Strangely, there’s one video clip in the middle where the video image still appears, though the sound doesn’t work. 

I exported the project file and the only thing that appears is the unaffected clip (no sound). 

So far I have:

• Deleted preferences
  • Restarted the MacBook
  • Reinstalled Motion (twice)
  • Saved the media to the file and moved it to just the MacBook (normally I use a display and external drive)

I’ve had two files show this behavior. The others seem okay, but I’m reluctant to work on them in case they take on the same issue. I worried about losing more data/time. 

I’m running: MacBook Pro 13” 2019 Ventura 13.5 (latest update)

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Here's screen shot of the Project pane:

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 8:42 AM

Don't panic... everything is still there. It looks like you've accidentally solo'd a layer.

If you hold down the Option key and click on 12 chichester 111 layer's checkbox, the solo'ed layer will be unsolo'ed and everything will probably come back.

Or, (I think - I don't usually use this method) you can go to the Object menu and select Unsolo > Video and Audio and everything should be restored and the Soloing turned off.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 8:42 AM in response to stefano41

Don't panic... everything is still there. It looks like you've accidentally solo'd a layer.

If you hold down the Option key and click on 12 chichester 111 layer's checkbox, the solo'ed layer will be unsolo'ed and everything will probably come back.

Or, (I think - I don't usually use this method) you can go to the Object menu and select Unsolo > Video and Audio and everything should be restored and the Soloing turned off.

Apple Motion Objects suddenly disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.