How to remove duplicate Contacts in iCloud

I have already read this topic:

If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

Which says that, if I see duplicates in Contacts on iCloud.com, I should visit Apple Support for help.

Well, I am visiting and searching Apple Support right now and did not find any additional information on how to remove duplicate Contacts cards from my iCloud.

Could someone help?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 7:26 AM

3 replies

Aug 3, 2023 8:23 AM in response to dtabach

You can hold shift key and click the first card and then the last card from Mac address book in All iCloud , again right click over them and delete cards , this will delete duplicate contact cards from iCloud.com

The second method is when you sign in with account credentials at www.icloud.com using a web browser , hold shift and click on first contact and then the last duplicate contact ( in fact these duplicate contacts are cards reflecting from address book and shown in all contacts , again click on delete key from the keyboard , a pop - up appears , click on delete .

Aug 3, 2023 8:45 AM in response to tygb

Thank you tygb for your reply.

If I correctly understood your suggestion, selecting them all at once and deleting would remove all contacts, not only the duplicate ones, right?

I would have to select one by one to delete only the duplicates, which is unfeasible in a book with more than 1,000 cards.

Anyway, it looks like the method of merging duplicates via Contacts.app did work for iCloud too. The deletion was then replicated automatically on iCloud and on my other devices.

Aug 3, 2023 8:54 AM in response to dtabach

A user will never create 1000 cards as a duplicate by its own , however a few cards can be duplicated , your Mac address book is corrupted that's the reason thousand of cards are duplicated by itself .

You need to erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS , the address book corruption will be resolved , so the cards that are duplicated on iCloud.com will go away .

The other devices are also signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network , the duplicate cards also reflected in them .

How to remove duplicate Contacts in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.