You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App Store Blank Screen after upgrading to MacOS Monterey?

Found that going to Apple icon on the top left > System Preferences > Security and Privacy, then unlocking to make changes, clicking on 'System Services' > Details > Tick 'On' Networking and Wireless under 'Allow System Services to Determine Your Location'.

Found that this solved the App Store Blank Screen after upgrading to MacOS Monterey. Hopefully this will help those upgrading to Ventura and later OSs as well.

Why after the upgrade to Monterey, the App Store started showing a blank white screen while using the router with WPA2 security, but allowed App updates and showed App Store properly when using the older router with WPA only, was not explained by Apple Support over three days of calls and chats.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 10:03 AM

Similar questions

22 replies

Aug 4, 2023 6:05 AM in response to BurntbyApple

BurntbyApple wrote:

Monterey has been reported online as greying out this feature, BUT, it has also been stated by Apple Support, that the feature works normally again in Preview when using Ventura.

I'm done here but, it is greyed out in Ventura whether the PDF is locked or not. Here's a screen shot from Ventura 13.5…

If you think it should work, feel free to send Apple feedback.

Feedback - macOS - Apple

Aug 4, 2023 5:10 AM in response to dialabrain

I can confirm with Dial-a-brain, the PDF options as far as export and print are limited because you are working with a PDF. That's the same on my computer.

While you can edit a PDF in preview with the

icon in the far right toolbar,

or use the

in the far left toolbar to show thumbnails and drag a PDF file into the thumbnails to combine PDFs, Preview's editing capability is limited to text and simple Photo editing controls in the first icon's toolbar when it comes to PDF. If you want more fancy editing Adobe Acrobat Reader has a few, and Pro even more.

Aug 3, 2023 5:44 PM in response to BurntbyApple

WPA2 encryption is more secure. I wouldn't be using WPA1/TKIP or WEP. There may be a problem with the router port assignments. If your router is not capable of 802.11n or 802.11ac get an ethernet adapter for the Mac and hook it up directly to the router. Unless you don't plan to do secure transactions and purchases, the older WiFi standards of 802.11g and 802.11b are very easily hacked.

Aug 4, 2023 3:33 AM in response to a brody

Dear Brody,

Thank you for your reply, which does not address the reported problems with the Monterey OS.

The problems faced after the upgrade to Monterey OS from Mojave OS last week were:

1) The App Store showed a blank white screen when connecting on WPA2 WiFi router, while working normally on the older WPA router, even after reinstalling the Monterey OS as guided by Apple Support. Apple Support was not able to assist further.

This problem was solved by going to security settings and ticking ON the location for WiFi and network services. This guidance should have come from Apple in the three days of follow up chats and calls.

2) when opening a password protected PDF documents in Preview, the option to ‘export as pdf’ and ‘print as pdf’ are greyed out and cannot be used. When JPG, PNG, and HIEC documents are opened in preview, the ‘export as pdf’ remains black and works normally. When a pdf document without password is opened, Preview allows printing as pdf, but not ‘export as pdf’.

All these worked normally in Mojave and Apple Support’s recommendation is to either upgrade to Ventura or downgrade to Mojave to solve the faced problem with Preview.

Apple Support has not been able to help me solve this problem while continuing with Monterey. Request Apple to release an update or a patch for Monterey to solve this problem. If you have an easier solution, let me know.

We have two Apple MacBook Airs at home (2015 and early 2017) with two different Apple IDs, both operating on MontereyOS, and both facing the same problem.

Aug 4, 2023 3:52 AM in response to BurntbyApple

BurntbyApple wrote:

Apple Support has not been able to help me solve this problem while continuing with Monterey. Request Apple to release an update or a patch for Monterey to solve this problem.

FWIW, "Networking and Wireless" is normally enabled by default in Monterey. At least it was with all my installs. My guess is both of your MacBook Airs have something installed which disable it.

Aug 4, 2023 4:15 AM in response to BurntbyApple

BurntbyApple wrote:

Dear Dialabrain: the ‘App Store’ discussion is over as the problem is solved and the procedure has been posted to help others who may face similar problem.

My comment was referring to "Request Apple to release an update or a patch for Monterey to solve this problem.".

None is needed.

Concentrate on solving the problem with Preview in Monterey, or let Apple release an update. Thanks.

As far as this…

2) when opening a password protected PDF documents in Preview, the option to ‘export as pdf’ and ‘print as pdf are greyed out and cannot be used.

They are greyed out because you are working with a PDF. Both selections are for non-PDF documents.

Aug 4, 2023 5:51 AM in response to a brody

Till Mojave OS ‘Preview’ permitted recipients of password protected PDF files to open the files using the password, and save the file using ‘Export as PDF’ without the password in the required folders, without the need to remember a password for each document.

Monterey has been reported online as greying out this feature, BUT, it has also been stated by Apple Support, that the feature works normally again in Preview when using Ventura. (I cannot check it as my MacBook Air is early 2017 and Ventura OS is not recommended for this hardware). Will appreciate if users of Ventura OS can check and revert here whether this is true, in which case the inputs from Brody and DialaBrain may kindly be ignored as being irrelevant to the reported problem, and Apple will have to release an update to rectify this problem.

Aug 4, 2023 9:20 AM in response to dialabrain

To explain the reason.

In Mojave and earlier OS, When you entered the correct password and opened a password protected PDF document that was sent to you, and you wanted to save the document without the password, Preview allowed you to ‘export it as PDF’, and it would automatically save as a non-protected PDF file in whichever folder you saved it to.

Thus, you would not have to remember the password for each file, while the sender ensured that enroute no one could intercept and read the contents of the PDF document. Only the recipient who had the correct password.

To achieve the same convenience, now the Apple user would have to open the PDF document in a browser (Safari, Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge), and print as PDF. AND the browsers would work only when you are online, with the vulnerability that you are opening the document on a public browser, and not your own private Apple provided ‘Preview’.

Also, when Preview works normally, we do not have to subscribe to, or buy, Adobe Acrobat.

Trust that the above gives clarity, and also allows others who may not have used this feature before, to realise the ultimate convenience Preview provides with the ‘Export as PDF’ and ‘print as PDF’ functions?

App Store Blank Screen after upgrading to MacOS Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.