Enable Wifi Calling standlone apple watch

I have setup a family member watch with cellular however I can't turn on wifi calling as the standard way to do so is to use the watch app and turn it on from the phone which shares the number.

Is there no way to do this on a family managed cellular watch?

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2023 10:40 AM

Firstly the Watch cellular plan which has its own number must provide it.

Secondly the wifi SSID must have been accessed and remembered by the paired iphone.

Although the family pairing article does not explicitly exclude it, I don't think either is practicable on a family paired watch

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Decibel_76

Firstly the Watch cellular plan which has its own number must provide it.

Secondly the wifi SSID must have been accessed and remembered by the paired iphone.

Although the family pairing article does not explicitly exclude it, I don't think either is practicable on a family paired watch

Aug 3, 2023 12:00 PM in response to LD150

Thanks the watch is for one of our children and our cell service at home is crappy. So it's on the home Wifi from the paired phone and has it's own number. The watch works for facetime calls via wifi but the ability to start and receive voice calls from the # is essentially non-existent while at home. The phones will use wifi calling most of the time at home as well but they can pickup cellular since they have bigger / better radio stacks. Seems like for our use case the cellular won't give what we want given our low signal. We will check about a signal booster.

Enable Wifi Calling standlone apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.