How can I increase my RAM disk on my MacBook?

The Start up Disk on my MacBook is nearly full and I cannot download other applications. How can I get more space on my RAM?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 6:57 AM

5 replies

Aug 4, 2023 8:01 AM in response to Zimviv1

You have to buy an external hard disk or flash drive, or buy space on the Cloud. iCloud offers 5 GB free. Google Drive offers 15 GB, Microsoft OneDrive offers 50 GB free.

Starting in 2018, all Macs have soldered internal storage except Mac Pros.

Many external hard drives typically work best with an external source of power. So get an external hub with a separate AC adapter if you are going to use it regularly.

You should have at least one in anycase to backup your data at least as big as your internal drive's capacity.

Backing up is vital, as this article explains:

Backup now, or forever hold your peace - … - Apple Community

Apple does sell Macs with more internal storage as well. If you realize you want to use more storage and are under your store's return policy, call them back and see if you get a computer with more internal storage.

Just a point of reference the term RAM Disk is an old term for using temporary space on multitasking memory as temporary external storage to your hard disk/SSD. When you restart or shut down your computer, that space goes away. It used to be controlable through a separate control panel on MacOS before 2001.

Now, you need to use the command line to create it, and that has been documented here.

Dec 1, 2023 9:22 AM in response to Habeebkhan

Hi Habeebkhan,

Please read the entire thread, where the 256 meaning is defined more in depth.

Since 2010 Apple has had solid state drives in their Macs, which replace the old platter drives for "permanent" storage. I put quotes around that because even as "permanent" storage, it still has to be backed up because all storage can fail eventually. That's why backups are critical. RAM the term means Random Access Memory.

RAM can refer to multitasking place to open apps and run together with other apps. It can also refer to the "permanent" storage medium of your computer where you save documents and apps for future access.

256 is frequently given in GB on most computers these day as "permenent" SSD storage, and most computers are 4GB to 16 GB in multitasking RAM.

8 on/off bits are 1 byte

1 KB = 1024 Bytes

1 MB = 1024 KB

1 GB = 1024 MB

1 TB = 1024 GB

If still confused after reading this thread, please start your own thread.

How can I increase my RAM disk on my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.