Cannot download Spotify due to Family Settings

My daughter recently turned 12, and I installed Spotify Kids on her phone. But now that she's 12, she wants Spotify. The age says 12+, and I have her birthday correct in family settings. However, when I go to download the app, it says - Due to restrictions set for this device, this app cannot be downloaded. I'm looked at a number of settings and cannot see to find when the restriction is. Help.

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2023 10:03 AM

Alllllright. Finally figured it out.

This is assuming your child's phone is managed on Apple Family Sharing.

On the PARENT'S phone, go to Settings, Family, (your child's account), Screen Time, Content & Privacy Restrictions, Content Restrictions, Apps.

I switched the setting from 9+ to 17+ and then I was allowed to download spotify onto my child's phone. The 12+ setting may work also, I dunno... it's taken me 45 minutes to get this far and I'm just happy to have finally figured it out.

Hope this helps!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2023 10:03 AM in response to LeoceoVT

Alllllright. Finally figured it out.

This is assuming your child's phone is managed on Apple Family Sharing.

On the PARENT'S phone, go to Settings, Family, (your child's account), Screen Time, Content & Privacy Restrictions, Content Restrictions, Apps.

I switched the setting from 9+ to 17+ and then I was allowed to download spotify onto my child's phone. The 12+ setting may work also, I dunno... it's taken me 45 minutes to get this far and I'm just happy to have finally figured it out.

Hope this helps!

Nov 30, 2023 12:44 PM in response to Demo

I have the same problem. My daughter is 12 (almost 13), her birthday is correct in the appleID, and I can change all settings in Screen Time to allow absolutely everything (or turn off Screen Time limits completely) and still the App Store will not allow us to download any music app rated 12+ (Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music all give the same message).

Apr 23, 2024 7:20 AM in response to LeoceoVT

@YoderD82

You are a life saver! I got this problem for months and couldn't find any workaround.

Did what you suggested and realized my song who is 9 was in 3 in the preferences.

I had already tried what you said but from my son's iPad with my parental code and it didn't worked. So it's important to do it from the parent phone.

My son is ecstatic and I'm his hero right now (until he becomes a teenager but that's another help forum ;)

Cheers,

Bruno.

Cannot download Spotify due to Family Settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.