Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Pro and Mac mini sharing Studio display. How to do it?

I have a MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini that I want to use with a single apple studio display with the ability to switch from one device to the other without pulling the thunderbolt cable in and out each time. I thought this must be simple but it seems not. The display only has one input (why?). I've looked at third party KVM switches, I'm not sure which would work at all, which would give a full 5K resolution and power supply to laptop. And some of them seem crazy expensive.

My second problem is that it's very awkward trying to switch the pairing of the magic keyboard and mouse between the two devices and it always seems to involve having to plug them in by USB and connect that way.

Am I missing something? Is there really not a streamlined way to do this? Surely loads of Mac users must be in a similar position?

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 2:48 AM

Thanks but I'm already aware of the limitations of the studio display - only one thunderbolt input. I'm asking if anyone has a proven workaround that's a little more creative than "buy another one".

Similar questions

5 replies

MacBook Pro and Mac mini sharing Studio display. How to do it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.