I can’t add value to Suica in my wallet

What are the “valid” forms of payment to charge a Suica to my Apple wallet? I’m using a US card, but I’m in Japan, and it keeps telling me that the payment didn’t go through.

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 4:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 5:32 PM

Foreign issue VISA cards are working again for adding money to Apple Pay Suica in Wallet with the iOS 17.2 update. Apple Watch Wallet is still not working but you can work around this by using iOS 17.2 Watch app > Wallet > Suica card details > tap Add Money.

7 replies

Oct 29, 2023 4:13 AM in response to palmerisemo

The Suica website says Suica or Plasmo card now only accepts Japanese yen top ups and don’t accept international credit cards anymore. It urges tourists to get a ‘Welcome Suica’ card that is valid for 4 weeks only. However a big fault of this new card is, one cannot take out any left-over balance. 

This time while I was in Tokyo (October 2023), I was able to top up the Suica card I saved in my Apple Watch 3 years ago by going to the cashier in a convenient store, place my watch on the card reader and the staff will help me top it up with Japanese yen by selecting a certain amount on a screen.  The Suica website says nothing about this procedure which can be very frustrating for any tourists revisiting Tokyo who have been using a Suica or Plasmo card before and find that they couldn’t top up with ApplePay.

Aug 6, 2023 2:41 PM in response to palmerisemo

Hello palmerisemo,

These payment types can be used in Japan with your Apple ID. This information is found at Payment methods that you can use with your Apple ID - Apple Support

• Most credit and debit cards
• Apple Account balance (from redeeming Apple Gift Card or adding funds)
• PayPay
• Mobile phone billing5
• au
• SoftBank
• NTT DOCOMO

Keep in mind that the payment method has to be from the same region that the Apple ID is set to. If you are using a US card, then the App Store would need to be set to the US also.

Have a good day.

I can’t add value to Suica in my wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.