Can I remove my Apple ID from a sold device remotely

I sold a iPad and it has my Apple ID still on it. What can I do as they can see my messages from my phone

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 4:39 AM

Hello again ~ Take a look here specifically…

***If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad

If the steps above weren't completed and you no longer have your device, use these steps:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
  6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.
  7. If you purchased an AppleCare plan for your device, cancel your AppleCare plan.

~Katana-San~

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 4:39 AM in response to Bigmock1789

Hello again ~ Take a look here specifically…

***If you no longer have your iPhone or iPad

If the steps above weren't completed and you no longer have your device, use these steps:

1. Ask the new owner to erase all content and settings using the above steps.
  2. If you're using iCloud and Find My [device] on the device, sign in to iCloud.com/find or the Find My app on another device, select the device, and click Erase. After the device has been erased, click Remove from Account.
  3. If you can't follow either of the above steps, change your Apple ID password. This won't remove personal information that's stored on your old device, but it prevents the new owner from deleting your information from iCloud.
  4. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage
  5. If you're using Apple Pay, you can remove your credit or debit cards at iCloud.com. Choose Account Settings to see which devices are using Apple Pay, then click the device. Next to Apple Pay, click Remove.
  6. Remove your old device from your list of trusted devices.
  7. If you purchased an AppleCare plan for your device, cancel your AppleCare plan.

~Katana-San~

Can I remove my Apple ID from a sold device remotely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.