Did late 2013 model ever ship with fix version?

I am looking for a used iMac and late 2013 model falls into my budge. But after I googled to see if any potential defects some people mentioned the hinge could break anytime. I am wondering did Apple ever release new version that has the fixed hinge? If so does anyone know when and is there a way to check? There is a used one that I checked with the serial number which shows purchased in May 2014, could that one already have the fix version?

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 7:29 AM

Just what hinge do you believe would fail on a desktop iMac? The stand that supports that iMac has very little flexibility, and simply has never failed in my Late-2013 iMac — because it remains stationary. If you are concerned about a hinge failing because you plan to constantly move the iMac, then that Mac hardware format may not be the best solution for you.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 7:29 AM in response to zeroarst

Just what hinge do you believe would fail on a desktop iMac? The stand that supports that iMac has very little flexibility, and simply has never failed in my Late-2013 iMac — because it remains stationary. If you are concerned about a hinge failing because you plan to constantly move the iMac, then that Mac hardware format may not be the best solution for you.

Aug 6, 2023 7:07 AM in response to zeroarst

zeroarst wrote:

I am looking for a used iMac and late 2013 model falls into my budge.

A 2013 iMac at any price is not a good deal, because it can only run up to macOS 10.15 Catalina which no longer receives Security and Safari updates.

But after I googled to see if any potential defects some people mentioned the hinge could break anytime. I am wondering did Apple ever release new version that has the fixed hinge? If so does anyone know when and is there a way to check? There is a used one that I checked with the serial number which shows purchased in May 2014, could that one already have the fix version?

We have no idea when or if Apple made an improved torsion spring for the hinge. Plus there is no way of tracking a hinge repair unless the original owner/seller has a record of the repair.

I encourage you to stretch your budget and/or save up for a newer refurbished or new iMac.

https://eshop.macsales.com/configure-my-mac/imac

Refurbished Mac - iMac - Apple

Aug 6, 2023 8:35 AM in response to zeroarst

"late 2013 model falls into my budge"

A ten year old iMac is not a good idea as a primary computer. There's a reason, or reasons, it's as cheap as it is. For one thing it's obsolete and unsupported by Apple. If you were to have problems, you'd be at the mercy of places like eBay to find parts and then you'd either do the work yourself or have a non Apple qualified/certified service do it.

Did late 2013 model ever ship with fix version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.