Silence unknown callers

I have switched my silence unknown callers on and I have my voicemail turned off. What will a caller hear when they call me that is not in my contact list, or is from a no caller ID

iPhone 12

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 8:42 AM

When you enable "Silence Unknown Callers" on your iPhone, only your phone will be silenced when receiving calls from numbers not in your contacts or recent calls. However, the callers will hear the regular ringing tone, as if you hadn't silenced your phone.

If you have voicemail turned off, callers will hear a message from your carrier stating that your iPhone is unanswered. Keep in mind that the exact message may vary from carrier to carrier.

For calls from "No Caller ID" or numbers saved in your contacts, the experience will be similar to both.

It's important to note that the behavior described above is based on default settings and may vary slightly depending on carrier-specific configurations.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 6, 2023 8:42 AM in response to 1975-

When you enable "Silence Unknown Callers" on your iPhone, only your phone will be silenced when receiving calls from numbers not in your contacts or recent calls. However, the callers will hear the regular ringing tone, as if you hadn't silenced your phone.

If you have voicemail turned off, callers will hear a message from your carrier stating that your iPhone is unanswered. Keep in mind that the exact message may vary from carrier to carrier.

For calls from "No Caller ID" or numbers saved in your contacts, the experience will be similar to both.

It's important to note that the behavior described above is based on default settings and may vary slightly depending on carrier-specific configurations.

Silence unknown callers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.