"Unable to verify message signature" message pops up when I try to send emails

I'm getting a message "unable to verify message signature" when I send emails and some of my emails aren't getting sent b/c of this. I went in to keychain and deleted some things (may have been related to another issue... I don't know what I'm doing!!), and am afraid I deleted something I shouldn't have. Can anyone help? Google is not helpful.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.4

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 25, 2024 3:41 PM

Exact same problem, and the posted solutions are not germane to our situation. Please help!

9 replies

May 8, 2024 5:56 AM in response to pfrasca

"It is my email whose signature cannot be verified when I go to send something. No problems with incoming emails. How to fix this issue please. "

Mine is even stranger:

• this only started when I upgraded from High Sierra to Monterey and the native Mac Mail client that comes with those OS versions
  • If after that dialog box shows up I just dismiss it and re-send it almost always goes through the second time and ALWAYS goes through on the third try.

Aug 16, 2023 4:54 PM in response to Sparks0829

Yes, this is what I found when I Googled. This doesn't really help me fix anything. My mail says my certificate is not trusted. I have no idea what to do with that or why it's an issue. I'm now able to send most emails, but my sent messages show my name/email address highlighted in red with a red question mark that leads to the "not trusted/untrusted signature" message.

Aug 7, 2023 11:30 AM in response to JJSter

Hi there JJSter,

We're happy to provide some information. It's likely an issue with certificates or the email address you're sending from.

If the Mail app  on your Mac shows a banner stating that it can’t verify a signed message, it might be due to one of several reasons.
* The message may have been changed after it was sent. Ask the sender to resend it.
* The sender’s certificate may have expired. Ask the sender to renew the certificate and resend the message.
* You need to trust the sender’s certificate.
* The email address on the S/MIME certificate doesn’t match the From address. The sender needs to change the From address so that it exactly matches what is used on the sender’s S/MIME certificate.

You'll find this information here: If Mail on your Mac can’t verify a signed email - Apple Support

With that said, follow the steps I the link above to 'Show Details' and get a better explanation of why this is happening and what you can do to resolve it.

Also, the steps in this support article may be helpful: If you can’t send emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Take care.

Aug 16, 2023 5:37 PM in response to JJSter

Hello JJSter,

Thank you for keeping us updated on your results. It looks like we did share the following resource on how to trust a certificate: Trust a certificate on Mac - Apple Support

If those steps didn't help you, you can try to remove the affected email account and re-add it back to further isolate this issue you're experiencing. Remember to please any emails you have pending prior to attempting this step: If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support

1. Remove your email account in Mail.
2. Add your email account in Mail again. When adding the account, make sure that you choose the correct email service provider for your email address.
3. Try to send and receive email.

We hope this step helps you. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Jun 4, 2024 3:40 PM in response to JJSter

In the same boat. I have been using Apple mail for decades with no issues, but recent updates have caused this problem. I have done all the suggestions below and they don't help.

This issue has caused me to loose many emails and occurs at random times.

Please fix this Apple as I would really love to not have to find a new mail program.

Jun 25, 2024 6:27 PM in response to JJSter

I ended up calling apple support and sharing my screen, and the helper found a teeny tiny checkbox on the signature dialog box that we ticked and it solved the problem. Sorry I cannot be more specific, but either call Apple or scour every dialog box you find for a 2-pixel-sized checkbox that says to trust the signature or whatever.

"Unable to verify message signature" message pops up when I try to send emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.