when i delete an email from my phone it does not delete from my ipad

when I use to delete an email from my iPad it automatically deleted from my iPhone but now it does not. How can I get them to talk to each other again please?

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 16

Posted on Aug 6, 2023 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 8:20 AM

Mail is not directly synchronised between devices; instead, your devices will synchronise via the Mail server that hosts your email account(s). Are you using an IMAP or POP3 mailbox? If one of your devices is using POP3, this can cause problems with keeping Mail clients in-sync.

Deleting and re-adding your email account - from one or potentially both devices - is sometimes the easiest way to resolve a problem with a specific Mail account. After deleting the account, perform a forced restart before re-adding the email account to your device:

• Delete account:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Mail Account] > Delete Account

• Force restart the iPad:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

• Add Mail Account:

Settings > Mail > Add Account

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 8:20 AM in response to Sherylfromqc

Mail is not directly synchronised between devices; instead, your devices will synchronise via the Mail server that hosts your email account(s). Are you using an IMAP or POP3 mailbox? If one of your devices is using POP3, this can cause problems with keeping Mail clients in-sync.

Deleting and re-adding your email account - from one or potentially both devices - is sometimes the easiest way to resolve a problem with a specific Mail account. After deleting the account, perform a forced restart before re-adding the email account to your device:

• Delete account:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > [Your Mail Account] > Delete Account

• Force restart the iPad:

Force restart iPad - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

• Add Mail Account:

Settings > Mail > Add Account

when i delete an email from my phone it does not delete from my ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.