Could Not Mount Time Machine External Drive (APFS)

I erased my internal ssd in a Mac OS Extended format but my backup ssd (time Machine ssd) is in a APFS format.

MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar

How can i recover my system back if possible or reformat the internal drive from Mac OS Extended to APFS format ?

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 3:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2023 8:31 AM

Time machine backups hold a database of backed up files, in a form that is not bootable. Recent versions do not even contain the invariant portions of MacOS at all.

To recover after the main drive is erased:

First, re-install MacOS:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Then at first run, DO NOT create a new User-id, tell it to use the old one from your backup drive.

This special case of Migration Assistant is sometimes referred to as "Setup Assistant".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 7, 2023 8:31 AM in response to ihabahmed1963

Time machine backups hold a database of backed up files, in a form that is not bootable. Recent versions do not even contain the invariant portions of MacOS at all.

To recover after the main drive is erased:

First, re-install MacOS:

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Then at first run, DO NOT create a new User-id, tell it to use the old one from your backup drive.

This special case of Migration Assistant is sometimes referred to as "Setup Assistant".

Could Not Mount Time Machine External Drive (APFS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.