APFS compatibility with MacOS Extended (case sensitive journaled) and Installing Big Sir to replace Mojave.

I have a 2013 macbook pro 15" I want to upgrade from it's Mojave, to Big Sur. It's internal SSD is formated to macOSExtended (case sensitive journaled) when I run the installer for Big Sur it says I need to have my internal disk formatted as APFS. I'll be buying a 2TB external ssd to backup my system, as it is, incase anything goes wrong. So here's my question's. do I need to make a bootable backup to recover "as was" After Reformating the internal drive to APFS for Big Sir? what disk format should I use on the external backup disk if it needs to have both my Mojave Backup and the installer for big Sur?? Big Sir needs APFS, and Mojave needs macOSExended. if I need to recover my current OS in macExtended, will it Recover To my interal disk which will be Reformared to APFS at this point, and the backup is in macOSEtended format? Also, what format should my external disk be? do you undrerstand all that? I dont want to take any chances of loosing what I have. I'm toataly new to mac. and if I wipe and reformat my main drive to install the new OS and sometihng crashes. I don't want be left with a useless brick. I would greatly apreceate some help understanding this. Thanks .. Patrick L.

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 10:00 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 28, 2024 6:14 PM in response to TrickL

TrickL wrote:

I have a 2013 macbook pro 15" I want to upgrade from it's Mojave, to Big Sur. It's internal SSD is formated to macOSExtended (case sensitive journaled)

The case sensitive file system may cause you problems when transferring files to a case insensitive file system since you may find some files will be marked as duplicates due to having the same characters in the file name, but with a different case (upper or lower). Most people should never use a case sensitive file system on the main boot drive, and people should be very careful when they do so on a secondary drive. Usually the only people needing a case sensitive file system are developers who create software for multiple operating systems (especially Linux).

I'm toataly new to mac. and if I wipe and reformat my main drive to install the new OS and sometihng crashes. I don't want be left with a useless brick. I would greatly apreceate some help understanding this. Thanks .. Patrick L.

Create a bootable macOS Big Sur USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Edit: Theoretically you should be able to convert the HFS+ file system to APFS without erasing the drive & without losing any data. However, there is always a chance something may go wrong, so make sure to have a good backup first. Also, some people have reported that Disk Utility won't always convert the file system and unfortunately the Big Sur installer no longer performs the conversion automatically IIRC. I'm not sure how it will work since you are using a case sensitive file system. You will need to be booted to Recovery Mode, or Internet Recovery Mode, or from a bootable macOS USB installer (or from an external macOS with full OS). See this post by @tbirdvet:

CONVERTING TO APFS - Apple Community

FYI, people should always have frequent and regular backups of their computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data. Many times it is impossible to recover data from an SSD. There are a lot more new ways to permanently lose access to your data with a computer with the newer Macs due to all the hardware, software, and security features.

APFS compatibility with MacOS Extended (case sensitive journaled) and Installing Big Sir to replace Mojave.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.